I'm Not Joining the Magic Knights

"Good morning mama." 

Storge stood with bouquet of purple hyacinths in front of a small simple tombstone.  On it only stated her mother's name, Anna, the date she died, and Storge's own name as Anna's beloved daughter. Storge smiled as she bent down to brush the fallen leaves away and set the flowers where they should be until they completely wither. 

When everything is pretty, she sat down beside the decorated stone and leaned on it. The sunshine shone on her face and was only blocked by the occasional migrating flock of birds. She sighed. 

"I'm getting my grimoire tomorrow mama," she started to say. "Father Orsi said that I had to leave early in the morning tomorrow. So If I want to talk to you, I should do it today." 

There was no response. 

Storge sighed again, this time more dejected than before. She waved her hands and a few palm sized unicorns and tiny birds appeared. "In the stories Father Orsi tells me, you had retrocognition magic, which is supposed to help you see something's past. So maybe I inherited my father's magic instead of yours, whoever he is." 

A gust of wind blew her hair from behind as if it was a response for what she was saying. Storge turned swirled around to confirmed that nobody made that gust of wind on purpose and smiled. The creatures she created disappeared along with the calm passing breeze. 

"By the way mama, Asta and Yuno keep asking me to join the Magic Knights Entrance exam with them. I told them no since I was 6. If both of them want to be the wizard king then so be it. I want no part in their rivalry, training, and anything magic knight related. " 

A small dandelion floated past her face and into the sky. 

"It's because I need to know who you are."

She paused. The winds stopped too, leaving the atmosphere dryer than one would enjoy. 

"Being a magic knight won't help me find you. It is a high paying job, but I won't be able to do research. I don't want fame, or glory, or power. I just want...you. " 

Storge stood up. The sun was setting and she knew in her head that she needed to get back. "I'm sure I know what I want mama. I will find who you are mama. And I'll find my father too, even if it's the last thing I do." 

"STORGEEEEEEEEEEE!" A loud battle cry was heard as one crazy grey haired Asta sprinted towards her direction. "PLEASE DUEL WITH MEEEEEEEEEEE!"

Asta crashed against her and they both hit the ground hard. 

"AHHHHH SORRY SORRY!"

"Asta, now my ears AND head hurts," Storge said as struggled to get up. "How did you even find me here?" 

"Oh, I looked for you in the demon skeleton and when I couldn't find you I figured that you might be here." Asta explained. "Am I that predictable?" Storge bashfully said. "Yeah, kinda," Asta said honestly as he jumps up and on his feet. 

"Anyway, let's duel! Just once! I tried to get Yuno to do it but he won't." 

"But we're supposed to be home by now."

"Just one time pleaseeeeeeeeee. Father Orsi won't even know were gone." 

Storge sighed. "Alright, but not here. We're in a cemetery."

Little did they know that Father Orsi did notice their absence and made them spend the evening washing dishes. Fun.  

The Next Day

"And don't forget to be nice to the other kids there," Sister Lily said as she stood by the door to bid us goodbye before the trio left. Yuno let out an assuring "Will do" while Asta got on his knees with a small dandelion in hand and proposed. 

Storge let out a smile as she approached the road ahead. "Come on guys, were gonna be late!" 

"Storge," a deep fatherly voice called. Father Orsi approached her with a dark blue cotton cloak with a gold ribbon decorating the hem. "Um, thanks?" Storge said. "But it's pretty hot today to walk with that." 

Father Orsi looked away bashfully. "This was your mother's cape. The one she wore when she got here. I just thought you maybe wanted to wear this on your big day." 

"Ohhhhhhhh," Storge said and took the cape without another moment of doubt. She wrapped it around her shoulders and secured it with the hook an eye on the chest. She did a little twirl to make sure everything was secure. The comfortable cotton fabric draped down to her ankles  comfortably and did not get in the way of her walking at all. 

"WOAAH! You look great Storge! With that there's no way you won't pass the magic knights exam!" Asta exclaimed with shimmering eyes. "But I'm not joining the entrance exam," Storge reminded him. "You should," Yuno cut in. 

"Alright alright, get going you little rascals!" Father Orsi said as he pushed the three of the away. "When you get back, we'll be sure to have the potato party ready!" "Uughhhhhh," multiple children whines were heard at once. "Please...anything but taters." 

The walk to the grimoire tower was quick and soon the three of them were standing amongst other teens from the area. Yuno, being the proud handsome jerk he is, separated himself from Asta and Storge and stood in the center of the room. Storge stuck with Asta as she smiled and waved at some of the kids she knew and look away in disdain at the naughty boys who were teasing other kids. 

Soon the doors closed and Storge shifted a little bit closer to Asta as the wizard...guy (the old man with the pointy hat) stepped on the podium. He did his little speech thing and hundreds of glowing grimoires of all different sizes descended from the bookshelves to their designated owners. 

Everyone gasped and squealed as a book landed on their hands (except for the ones with extremely thin grimoires, those kids whined). But the mumbling of newly fledged mages were instantly shushed by the presence of one particular special grimoire, a four leaf clover, in the hands of a very special boy, Yuno. 

Hushed whispers and words of awe were starting to spread until a jerk from the crowd pointed at Asta. "Look! That little guy didn't get a grimoire!" This made a few heads turn to see Asta with his hands up in the sky and no grimoire. 

"Uhhhhhhhhhh, Where's mine?" He asked with a loud enough voice for the old wizard (with the pointy hat)  to hear. The old man scratched his head. "Try next time." 

The room burst into laughter as Asta's hopes and dreams shattered into pieces. Storge, who was behind him all this time, wrapped her hands around his shoulders into an embrace. "Asta, we'll figure this out when we get home okay?"

"Wait look! That girl! The one hugging the short kid!" Said a voice to deep into the crowd to be identified. 

"Her grimoire is only one piece of paper."