Cap. 4 Save us

That simple gesture helped Brett more than he expected: he stopped thinking at Gary all day long, or at least not in that week before coming back at the reserve, he sold the ring gaining back 75% of its value with which he decided to open a little fund to start saving some money for a new house. By selling the flat he and Gary had purchased back in the days, he would have gained only the half of its value since it was half Gary's, and he couldn't deny him his part after basically having kicked him out. Not that he didn't deserved it, but they invested all their few money when they decided to move in together. Fortunately, they didn't have a joint account so that he didn't have to go through financial issues with his ex.

After the hug, Nora and Mark bombarded him with questions, and even if he already knew he had to came back the next Saturday the two scientists pry him to come back still with his violin and try to talk to the mermaid.

So, the next Saturday he woke up early, dressed up casually, picked up his violin and made his way back at the reserve stopping just five minutes to buy some donuts. It was not about Kia anymore: that connection the scientist claimed he had with the creature was something that he started to feel now.

Brett: "Hi!"

Ticket-man: "Jason! Nice to see you again!"

Brett: "Nice to see you too"

The man opened the doors for him and he was able to walk on his own to the main station. It was enough hugging a mermaid perhaps to end up being part of the stuff.

Brett: "Hi guys, I brought some donuts"

Nora: "Oh, hey Jason! Thanks a lot man we needed some sugar charge!"

Brett: "No worries, I also brought my violin again since Eric seems to like it"

Nora: "Sure! I'm sorry but today I will monitor you from here, but Dimitry will be on the poolside with sedatives as well"

Brett: "Ok, I think I know the way, see you later"

And with this he walked on his own for the roof. It was just like last time: he readied his violin, sat on the poolside, played Bach, and waited for the creature to show up.

It didn't take long before the mermaid peeped from the water. Brett put down his violin and looked at the half man in front of him. The task today was trying to speak, even if he had no idea how

Brett: "Hi!"

He said waving to the creature. Eric tilted his head on the side giving him a questioning look.

Brett: "Can you understand what I'm saying?"

Eddy wanted to answer him, because in a sort of sense he trusted the man but he knew he was always kept under control. An idea popped in his mind: he couldn't just talk human language but he could also write human language. He gestured the man he needed something to write on making with his left hand a paper and with his right the pen gesture.

Brett frowned before realizing what he was asked. He reached for his case and pulled out an old music sheet and a pencil, before shifting a little behind to give Eric the place to lean on while he was, he guessed, drawing.

Eddy took the paper and the pencil while he set his weight on his forearms on the pool side to help himself

"I can perfectly understand what you say, but I fear for my partner and my life"

Brett read the messy handwriting remaining more than a little shocked by the revelation. Eric handed him the pencil

"Are you playing dumb to try to escape?"

"Yes, but they are not giving us information, we only know that they want to do us experiments and show us to the public like two cups they won"

Oh, God, now it was all clear. They were all so kind to him because they were treating this thing he has with the mermaid as an experiment, and maybe one day they wanted him to lie to reassure them like you can reassure a turkey on Thanksgiving Day!