Chapter 14

- Third Person's Perspective -

All Might sighs, looking at his young protégé with pity. He knew this day would come; he'd been putting it off for months since he found out about Midoriya's illness. At first he was angry that Midoriya let him give him One-For-All while he was ill. His anger soon turned to pity and he felt guilt that he would possibly have to take back his gift, or take the love away.

"I'm afraid that your situation escalated far more quickly than I could have ever foreseen." Recovery Girl explains, pity plastered on her face as well. "The grip the Hannahaki has on you is very strong. I thought we would have at least a month."

She looks down at the floor lost in thought for a moment. All Might watches her with a sense of urgency, waiting for whatever she says next knowing that it will not be good. 

"Midoriya, listen carefully and think. Hard. Before you answer me really think. I believe you will only a minimum have two weeks left until surgery is no longer an option." She looks up from the floor to face Midoriya. "You will need to get surgery next week or give up your powers to the next successor." 

Midoriya lets out a shaky breath, tears threatening to spill. He looks down at the floor letting the tears slip out slowly. The room hangs with a tense silence as the two teachers watch Midoriy. He contemplates the most difficult decision he's ever going to make. In this moment he has Uraraka, Todoroki and Shinso in mind. Thinking of how much they've helped him. Thinking of how disappointed and heartbroken they would be when he died.

"I don't want to die." He mutters, tears flooding as he looks up at All Might. "I don't want to die, but I don't want to forget him."

"You have to choose." All Might says back, his heart breaking.

"I choose-" Midoriya looks out the window, the class is walking back in and he spots Bakugou.

I choose him.

He watches Bakugou ignoring Kirishima. His side glances and subtle grins whenever someone says something funny. He watches until his eyes wander to Uraraka and the girls laughing and teasing each other, he sees Todoroki walking alone looking bored. He smiles at them, his friends. The ones who are there for him now more than everQ. 

"I'll get the surgery." He whispers.

All Might sighs and looks to Recovery girl with a smile, she just keeps watching Midoriya. She seems sad. Like she can see his pain that All Might seems slightly oblivious to. She reaches out and takes his hand. His eyes snap away from the window to his hand then to her with confusion. 

"You've made the right decision. It won't seem like that for a little while, but soon you won't even remember." She says with a small reassuring smile.

He loosens a bit, the thought calming him slightly. 

"Soon I will see Kacchan as he sees me; as nothing." He says with a weak smile, one last tear inching it's way down his face. 

Recovery girls gives his hand a squeeze before getting up and opening the door. She looks at All Might with a slight glare and he leaves without a word. Before closing the door she looks at Midoriya one last time, she looks like she's about to cry herself. She smiles so weakly.

"You are stronger than anybody I have ever met Midoriya." She cokes on her words, tearing up. "You will get through this." She says then closes the door and walks away with All Might.

Midoriya gets up with a shaky sigh, hands matted in his hair. He sits at his desk and opens his laptop, his background is a picture of him and Bakugou when they were kids. Before he became a bully. He smiles at the photo tears threatening again but he doesn't have enough left to cry. He whimpers slightly, hands shaking as he closes the laptop again and looks out the window. Trying to catch a glimpse of Bakugou, but he's already gone.

"Seems about right." He sighs, sitting on his bed again. "Never there when I need him." 

He chuckles a bit, trying to make himself feel better but it doesn't work. His face is sour and he still looks like he wants to cry. 

- Uraraka's Perspective -

Mina barrels through the front door to the dorms making us all laugh as we walk over to the common area. Tsu takes my hand and kisses me on the cheek before I head over to the elevator earning some confused looks.

"Where are you going?" Tsu looks at me a little sad.

"I need to bring Deku his work, we'll be right down." I say holding up the books in my hand.

I call the elevator down, staring at the numbers as it ticks from two, one, ground floor. When I go to step in I notice it's not empty. All Might and Recovery girl are standing there. They look sad and a little worried. My confusion turns to fear when I notice that Recovery girl looks like she's crying.

"Is Deku-?!" I shout worried laced in my tone.

"He's fine." All Might says but it's not believable. "Relatively speaking."

"What do you mean?" I say looking at the two, I can hear some of the girls walk over to listen in.

"He's agreed to get the surgery." Recovery girl says quietly.

"I don't understand isn't that a good thing? Why do you look so worried?" Mina says from behind me but I know exactly why they look like that. 

"It's too late." I say. "At this point if he gets surgery there's a chance he might forget everything- including us."

"How did you-?" Recovery girl looks at me.

"I started researching Hannahaki the second I found out. He could never be the same." I say gripping the books tightly and looking at the floor.

"We have to hope that won't happen." All Might says reaching out to me, placing his hand on my shoulder. "Right now he's upstairs. He's made a very big decision and is probably needing his friends right now."

"Right." I assure myself, stepping into the elevator as they step out. "Let's go girls, we have a job to do."

Mina, Tsu, Momo and Jirou step in with me. Their expressions are full of shock and worry. I try to give them all reassuring smiles but I can tell I look the same, maybe even worse. I shakily press the button and we all stand in silence. I'm just trying to push down negative thoughts. He needs us right now.