Chapter Six

Robin's POV

The week was already over and I still regretted inviting Scott over and drinking. Snake had informed me that I tried to have sex with him, I was sure I turned red as a tomato when he told me. Hell, I'm still embarrassed about it. I haven't been able to look straight at him this entire week.
I glance up from my book as I see a customer walk towards me, smiling softly when I saw it was Scott. "Hey there." I greeted, setting my book off to the side.
"Hey Robin, how are you?" He asked, he almost sounded worried.
"I'm fine, but still embarrassed that when we were drunk I tried to get in Snake's pants." Scott let out a small chuckle as he began to unload his shopping basket.
"At least you didn't face plant in the kitchen!" We both let out a laugh before I began to scan his items. "So, did Snake tell you anything? Like, other than trying to fuck him?" I gave Scott a curious look, what did he mean? Was Snake hiding something from me?
I shook my head slowly. "No... should he have?" Scott had a brief flash of a pissed off looked before it disappeared.
"Don't worry about it, I must've heard him wrong." I quirked up an eyebrow, about to ask more until Scott continued. "So, you obviously like him, when are you gonna ask him out?"
I felt my cheeks heat up as I gave Scott's arm a slap. "Scott! Stop it! What if he walked in and heard?!" Scott just let out a laugh as I tried to cover my blush. "And it's only been a week since he broke up with his ex, I don't want to suddenly drag him into another relationship." I paused for a minute, he seemed so off last week when he came over and when we were at his ex's house. "Scott, can we talk after my shift? I'll be done in an hour." Scott gave me a concerned look but nodded as he handed me his credit card to pay for his items.
"Sure, let me go take this out to my car then I'll go wait in the food court." I gave a nod as I swiped his card, the transaction going through as I handed it back along with three bags.

.:.

Scott and I made our way out to his car, he has offered to drive around so no one else would potentially overhear. "So, what's on your mind?" He asked as we took off down the freeway.
"Well, I just can't get over the feeling Snake's hiding something... like the night he came over from his ex's, he was soaking wet so I told him to change into some dry clothes. He wouldn't leave the bathroom until I brought him something with long sleeves." I glanced over at Scott and he had a nervous look across his face. "So I suspected he had poor body confidence and brushed it off. But then we went to get his stuff and he was in the bathroom for an awfully long time. There's even been times at home where he's in there for so long, I timed him one time, and it was almost half an hour! When he comes out, he's always immediately tired." I looked over at Scott again and saw his knuckles were pure white as he gripped onto the steering wheel. "As silly as it sounds, I thought he was jacking himself off, but it just didn't fit with everything else. Scott, do you know what's up with him?"
It was silent between us and I almost asked again until he let out a sign. "Robin, I don't think I should be the one telling you." So Snake is hiding something from me! I knew it! "But don't pressure Snake into telling you, it's a... sensitive subject." I gave Scott a curious look, what did he mean?
"Scott, what's going on?" I asked, suddenly feeling worried about Snake. Scott remained silent as he turned off the freeway. "What's wrong with Snake?" I pressed, but he ignored me as he drove towards where I lived. "Please, Scott! I need to know so I can help!" He glanced over at me, brown eyes full of worry.
"He has to tell you, I can't."

.:.

I paced the hallway quietly, waiting for Snake to come out of the bathroom. What was so god damn important that Scott --my best friend-- couldn't tell me? What could be such a dark secret that Snake only told his 'enemy', if that's what Scott really was to him. I let out a small groan as I gripped the sides of my head out of frustration, I was sure this would drive me to insanity.
Finally I heard a tap run and looked up, moving back and leaning against the wall opposite from the door. I stared at the door until I heard a small click and the doorknob turning. He looked out and gave me a surprised look. "Oh, sorry. If you would've told me I would've left sooner." I remained silent as I crossed my arms, he was defiantly hiding something.
"What do you do in there that takes so long?" I think I caught him off guard, seeing as he fell silent and looked like he was at a loss for words.
"I... nothing..." He trailed off, looking down at his feet.
I took a step forward, I wanted answers and I'd get them! "Snake, tell me, what do you do in there?" He had a lost look in his eyes before he narrowed them.
"It's none of your business." He snapped, turning to leave. I quickly reached out and gripped his arm, confused when his visibly flinched and winced.
I let go and looked up at him. "What did you do to your arm?" I asked, moving to roll up his sleeve but he pulled his arm away as he quickly headed off to his room. I chased after him but a door was slammed in my face, Snake locking the door as I rubbed my nose. "Snake, please! Scott told me you had a secret and only you could tell me! Please, I want to help, I want to be useful!"
There was silence and I debated on leaving until Snake's door slowly cracked open, his empty greyish-blue eyes looking down at me. "Forget... forget what Scott said, he doesn't know what he's talking about." I froze, Snake never called Scott by his first name, it was always something rude or a nickname.
"Snake, what's wrong?" I asked softly, now I wasn't sure if I wanted to know. If it had made him like this, I wasn't sure I wanted to know what the cause was.
"Just don't worry about me, worry about your routine, speaking of which, you should head to bed since it's about that time." He slowly began to close his door as I shook my head.
"Snake," he paused, looking at the floor, "please." I begged softly, watching as the door was closed quietly. I let out a sigh as I made my way to my room, hugging myself. He was right, it was about time for myself to go to bed, but I felt no desire to follow my routine, Snake taking up priority in my mind.
I closed my door as I wandered over to my bed, flopping down and crying into the cool sheets. Was Snake like this because of me? Was I too much? Not enough? I tried to ignore those thoughts as I curled up into a ball, somehow falling asleep with only one thought in my mind.
I want to help Snake.