Prologue

In a world where everyone felt like all their opinions were valid and felt validated to share them no matter how hurtful they were, where people shamelessly judged others as if they were the embodiment of perfection themselves. In a world where people will slash you with their words with little to no remorse, you've got to stand up for yourself, you've got to accept who you are. Me? Im a mutant, it's not like I have some creepy superpowers which would have been cool, no, I have one leg, and that I have come to realize separates me from the rest of the perfect, symmetrical society, a society I was once a part of until I became the mutant I am today.

I wasn't the depressed type of the mutants, in fact even with my one leg I kept on smiling because I knew I was different from the horrid species that thought themselves superior.

Lies!

Living with one leg makes everyone around you look at you sympathetically like a lost puppy. Ignoring them is a talent I have not yet mastered, sometimes it'd feel like their stares were swallowing me into an endless hole.

Are you alright dear?

Are you having trouble standing dear?

Should I help you stand dear?

Dear!
Why don't they just call me Bambi instead!? I was alright, I did not have trouble standing and definitely did not require any assistance. Having one leg doesn't mean I cant stand by myself or walk properly. I can do everything alright just like a symmetrical human can. Ive been with my prosthetic since I was 17, its part of me now.

But no, the superior human species see me as a lonely mutant who needs their unnecessary sympathy. I don't know when they are going to look at me as a normal person. Even after seven years of living with a prosthetic they still show me sympathy. Sometimes I wish I could hide it, but my funny walk gives it all away.

It all started eight years ago when I was first diagnosed with Osteosarcoma, I was 16 at that time, afraid, tired and lonely. I was the type of the depressed cancer patients, the type who prepare their own funeral because they are aware they soon leave the nightmare, not the ones who live life to the fullest before it was too late. I had dreams I thought I'd abandon if I were to not survive, dreams I was passionate about. But even when I got lucky enough to survive I did abandon those dreams after all.

As a female it is very rare to get Osteosarcoma but I was the lucky girls. I was already depressed and in need of therapy when Doctor Michael announced that I could be cured. I was happy and somewhat scared because it was too good to be true. And in the end, it was actually too good to be true because he gave me the eyes, the eyes everyone gives me nowadays. I had to lose my leg meaning I had to leave behind my dream of going to the Olympics, I had to leave behind swimming.

My happiness did not last long, I was even more depressed, I wanted to survive for my dreams but what was the point of surviving if I couldn't even be able to achieve them? I had wondered why I out of all people had to be unlucky. What was the point of surviving and not being able to do what you love?
My parents swollen eyes and loud whispers they thought I couldn't hear in the night made me stay back, made me lose my leg and which changed my life forever.

So I stayed. I stayed for them. If I left, I would have deprived them of their happiness.

......

A/N:
Being disabled does not make you a mutant!!!! As Ive said before, this is a story of Hales' struggles and how she views herself.