Chapter 35

"Protect them all. You're the only one who can get us protect us."

Yeah, right.

I shoved my grief away, and locked it up at the bottom of the endless gaping hole in my heart. I scanned them over, hoping that my friends were all safely alive here. I noticed someone sobbing near the back, knelt over something, and realized who the familiar streak of auburn hair was. Vera.

Slowly and cautiously, I walked over to her, scared of what I might find. I held back a gasp. Clint was lying there, a severe cut over where his heart was. He was bleeding out, dying.

"I'm sorry Vera," Clint coughed out.

"I love you Clint, I really do," Vera sobbed, heartbroken.

Clint spotted me and addressed his final words to me. Another sentence that lied on my heart, adding the weight of burdens.

"Take care of Vera for me, will ya?"

I nodded. He smiled, content, and let out a shuddering breath, the life extinguished from him.

Vera clutched at his dead body, crying hysterically and screaming. I turned around, refusing to look at my best friend.

"Come on, we have to go through this slide and we'll be done," Thomas encouraged us. I saw Ren gently guide Vera over to the tunnel, and Thomas slid down first. Soon, nearly everyone was down there, except for Vera, Ren, and me. I made the two girls go first, and took a deep breath. One last glance around here was what I asked for. One last glance. I engraved the image of the gray walls, some tainted with blood. I carved the image of the Grievers, lying here and there, dead. And finally, I carved the image of Clint, his hand folded peacefully over his stomach, still with his eyes closed as if he was sleeping. I carved it onto my memories and my heart, apologising to Alby for being unable to protect them all.

Happy moments in the glade, the way Robbie laughed with the bucket of ice cold water in his hands, the way Alby had scowled, then chuckled as he joined the game of tag. The way Gally had refused to talk to me, pouting, because I stole his harmonica once. The way Minho had always smirked peacefully, sassiness radiating off of him as he stood in front of the map of the maze. And, the way Newt would throw his head back and laugh, happiness and glee rolling off of him.

I let the pain and grief stay for one second, before I buried it all deep inside me. I had to be strong and that meant being good at covering your vulnerability. No fear, no emotions, other than anger and happiness. That's what I had to do. I didn't look back again and slid down the slide.