Chapter 30

"Someone get the girls!"

I heard shouting and absolute ruckus. I yawned and stretched out from the bed I was in. Climbing out of bed, I examined my neck and clucked my tongue. The bruises were there, and it wasn't going away soon. At least my other injuries were now nearly a scar. I frowned at the thought. Scars were weird, and I hated looking like frankenstein. But what could I do?

I threw off my shirt completely and stood there in my underwear, fishing for clothes, when I heard the door burst open. I looked up, thinking and hoping it would be one of the other three girls, only to meet a pair of chocolate brown eyes. We froze, Newt standing in the doorway, me standing with a shirt in my hands with only my underwear on.

He silently grabbed the door again and it creaked as he closed it. I felt heat rise as I realized what had happened. I quickly threw my clothes on and covered my neck with a scarf before opening the door again. Newt was blushing really hard and he avoided my eyes.

"I-I d-didn't see, I m-mean it," Newt stammered.

"R-right," I found myself hoarsely stuttering along with him. My throat hadn't completely recovered yet.

"Newt! The other girls can't calm her down, she's chucking even more things," a boy called out, breaking our embarrassed awkward silence.

"Her?" I asked, glad to finally address a different topic.

"Yeah, the new girl greenie woke up, beat up Jeff, and ran to the lookout tower and is attacking us," Newt shook his head.

We jogged towards the tower, and sure enough found the girl chucking random items at the gladers.

"Girls are cool!" Chuck exclaimed in excitement. I resisted the urge to laugh, and Newt stood alone, trying to avoid getting hit with no cover. Winston noticed and ran over, holding up some kind of wood to cover Newt. The happiness on Newt's face made me want to laugh again.

"Oy! Throw one more of those things at us and I'll-" Gally was cut off by a sock to the mouth.

I looked up, shading my eyes, and gasped. The ocean blue eyes and black hair was unmistakable. Teresa.

"Hey! Hey! It's me, Thomas!"

Teresa peeked over the rail and stared at him. He held up his hands in defense.

"I'm going up, okay?"

She disappeared from the ledge in response. True to his words, Thomas clambered up clumsily. A moment later, he reappeared over the edge, and apologetically dismissed the boys from beneath the lookout tower. I, however, stubbornly refused to move and glared at him when he stared at me.

"Zia, you too," he added when most of the boys were gone.

I turned around to follow Newt and Chuck when I heard someone call my name.

"Zia?"

Newt whipped around to look at me. He then looked past me, giving me the source of the voice.

"Wait, you know her?" Thomas asked Teresa, obviously confused.

I turned around, slowing my heartbeat, and looked up at her blue eyes. I wanted to run up there, hug her, ask her how she was, and all of that. She had been my best friend before all this after all.

"Zia, don't you remember me? It's me, Teresa," she begged.

Finally, I couldn't resist it anymore. I walked up towards the lookout tower, and Thomas beckoned me to come up. I did, with more grace than Thomas, flashing a smirk at him pointedly. He rolled his eyes, annoyed. I looked serious again, and saw Teresa for a second before she tackled me.