Chapter 22

*??? POV*

"What the hell are you doing?" I murmured, flabbergasted. I watched as Zia thrust Robert inside the Glade, and into safety. I knew the grievers would chase her down the hall. I knew they would try to kill her, and I hated it. "Why would you do that, you fool?"

I heard footsteps behind me, and nodded.

"We've successfully performed the swipe on the subjects A2 and B2," the doctor reported.

"Did we have any difficulties like we did with her?"

He shook his head. "It seems like it doesn't come from genetics. Her negative reactions towards the swipe was very difficult but her biological brother had zero difficulties."

I waved my hand, shooing him away.

I stood there for a moment, looking at her running down the halls for her life.

"You are a solid dummy ZIa," I sighed.

"Change of plans, Aris."

I turned around, looking at the vile man who was my boss.

"What?"

"We can't allow Zia to die, something is different with her, just like her brother. We can't afford to let ourselves be known, nor can we let her exit the maze. So, we will trap her in the maze until Thomas goes exploring. He's predictable," the man spoke.

"So we're going to keep her running around like a hamster in the maze with those grievers?"

He nodded. I bit back the curses coming to mind and merely nodded.

"Do as you wish."

"I know this is hard for you but this for her and your own good," he turned around, about to leave, when I blurted out a question.

"Doesn't it even pain you? At all?"

"Why should it pain me? I'm creating a better environment for my kids," he looked at me, as if daring me to object.

"She won't survive if you keep doing this. What's the point of having a safe environment for your kids if none of them are alive in the end?" I pointed out.

"You'll be alive. At least you will see what I have planned for you and you will understand," he shrugged.

Before I could make a mistake again, an announcement chimed.

"Assistant Director A.D. Janson is required in room 13 immediately by Chancellor Ava Paige."

"Looks like she needs me for a conference again. I'll see you later, son."

I grit my teeth as he left. How could he call me his son? How could he do that after everything he did to us?

I turned my attention back on Zia. Shortly, Thomas would be coming up and Zia would still be trapped in a closed section. I held my breath and winced as she treated her cuts with her ripped shirt. I felt frustrated and terrified for her. Wasn't it enough, sending my youngest brother into the maze? I wanted to scream and cry at the same time. Couldn't I do anything, something, to keep my sister alive and happy? Even Thomas did something, which is getting him sent in the maze.

I looked around my office and found something that would help Zia and the others. A trigger for memories. A trigger that could be used to break the extra strong swipe performed on her. But it wouldn't go through, since it contained memories. I hesitated, thinking, and quickly grabbed a photo, stuffing it in my pocket before walking towards the preparation room. I walked in front of the tubes, the same tubes that had contained Minho, pounding his fists against the glass, finally calming when Zia walked up to it, pressing her hand against it as a final farewell. The same tube that had carried Newt, who choked and begged for Zia to be safe. The same tube Zia encased herself in, repeating the same words over and over.

"It's not your fault."

The same tube Thomas would be in soon. I couldn't believe I was going to go against WICKED. Even this one small act of rebellion could kill me. I knew, however, that I would be sent up in the other maze soon anyways, and I decided to take the risk. I saw Thomas on the metal bed, getting prepared to go. I glanced around and saw no one, so I opened his pocket and stuffed it in. I took one last look at the boy and left. If everything went well, he'd be able to trigger more than the endings of the maze.