Chapter 24

*Minho POV*

I'd just got back from the maze. I had hunted around in my section, trying to find a trace of her being alive. When the doors had opened the first time right after, we had felt numbness and grief. Newt had limped away to his room and bolted it shut, letting no one come in, not even Alby. Vera had just collapsed right there and then, crying and mourning for her best friend in Robbie's arms. Robbie looked solemnly into the maze and squeezed Vera harder, as if scared to let her go. Chuck had the disappointed look but refused to cry.

"She's alive," he'd repeated. After that, we refused to listen to him, nor believe him, and he avoided us too.

By the time the new Greenie, a brunette who we thought had the characteristics of being a runner in the beginning until he straight out face planted, had come up, Newt had supposedly recovered. He took the responsibility of being second-in-command and helped the Greenie around. The way he'd tried to run into the maze right away and nearly made it reminded us of Zia, and a deep pang had run through us. I wasn't really there to witness the whole thing, no, but I had heard enough from all the chortling and gossiping of the boys to know he was curious and stubborn. Just like her.

"Why won't you guys tell me what's in there?!"

"It's all for your own good, Greenie!"

I heard yelling and looked over. I felt tempted to step in but just ignored the frustrated Greenie and the weary looking Newt.

Just then, I felt strange prickling sensations on the back of my head, and I turned around to look at the doors of the maze. I saw flowing black hair and a pair of deep brown eyes staring at me. Only after the final boom of the maze doors, I realized what I'd seen. Zia.

I shook my head, refusing to let myself hope. No one had survived a night in the maze. And, even if she had, it was too late now, since the doors had closed again. She would surely be dead now.

I jogged towards the showers to clean up from running.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

*Time skip*

The bonfire was as loud and relaxing as ever. It was good, chatting with the runners that were left. Some of them had quit after they saw what had happened to Robbie and Zia. Robbie couldn't run since he'd twisted his ankle and was now limping around and helping whenever he was needed, especially in the gardens. I looked up from Gally's drink, remembering how she had downed the whole thing when she'd first seen it, ignoring the obvious laughter I had been withholding with Chuck and Newt. I saw Newt walk over to the Greenie with the same drink in his hand, having him try it as he coughed and groaned in disgust. Newt laughed, and I found myself worrying for him less.

The greenie looked up and met my eyes, I could see Newt introducing me to him. I just stared back at the boy. His dark brown eyes that held the fire in them was so like Zia's. I didn't have to look away because Gally had grabbed him and dragged him into the fight circle.

The shank got a nice blow after trying to ram Gally to the ground. I shook my head. Did he really think he could match Gally's strength? I found myself encouraging him even though I barely knew him. His fighting stance, his ways of acting, most of it reminded me of her, and I hated myself for thinking about her, for having a glimmer of hope that she was alive.

"Thomas. My name. It's Thomas," the greenie spoke as he got up from the fight circle.

Gally lifted the boy off the ground, and he walked towards Newt who was grinning. They chatted for a while before I got up and left to sleep near the walls.