Chapter 9

I woke up, feeling the numbing pain in my veins. I huddled in the corner and looked out the door and at the grass. I noticed a plate with a sandwich on it, making my stomach growl angrily. I reached out, snatching it away and wolfing it down. As I chewed, I thought back to my dream. It made no sense, and it was already slipping away. My name... was it Zia or Lyell? Why would they want me to be named Lyell?

The pain in my head just increased, making me dizzy and sick. I looked out the door and at the boys who were lying here and there, eating. They looked so peaceful. But why were we in the maze? Who put us here? Why? Where is the exit? And more headaches. I groaned and looked around, wondering if I could dig a hole with the plate and escape this boring room. It wouldn't hurt to try, right?

"What the shuck are you doing?" Minho asked, amused. I looked up, glancing back and forth from the plate, the ground, and Minho with his arms crossed, showing off his biceps.

Damn. He's hot.

I shook my head violently, trying to shake that voice out of my head. Not happening. Never. Nuh-uh. Big no-no.

"You okay?" Minho raised an eyebrow at me, making me realize I probably looked like I'd gone crazy.

"Can someone really be ok if they're bored to death?" my voice dripped with sarcasm.

Smirking, he took out something from his pockets, dangling it in front of the door. A key. I stood up and went towards the door eagerly.

"Am I finally free?" I asked eagerly.

"Hm... I don't know, Greenie," he pretended to think about it. Suddenly he was smacked across the back of his head playfully by someone.

"Slim it and get her out ya shank," Newt spoke.

Minho pouted. "You have the key too!"

Newt raised an eyebrow. "And what's that got to do? You're in front of the door with the key in your hands."

I growled in frustration. "Are you guys going to get me out of here anytime soon, or are you guys just going to stand there and bicker like little kids?"

"I'm not letting you out now. You're mean," Minho spoke, imitating the voice of a child.

I rolled my eyes in response, grabbing the plate next to me and going back to shoveling. Newt and Minho snorted and watched me dig. Then, I heard Alby yell across the Glade, "YOU SHANKS GONNA LET HER OUT OR NOT?! DON'T COME BEGGING AGAIN, NEWT AND MINHO!"

I smirked as Newt sheepishly scratched the back of his neck and Minho blushed slightly. I stared pointedly at them and the lock, causing Minho to huff and unlock it. He pulled me out, none too gently, and I glared at him while rubbing my wrist slightly. I saw a flash of guilt in his eyes as he looked at my wrist. I nearly jumped when Newt grabbed my other hand and pulled me gently towards a pile of wood with boys surrounding it. He smiled at me, and I felt the queer feeling I'd felt at the tree; like I was safe now. I wriggled my hand out of his grip as I stood in front of the other boys, taking note of the slight disappointment in Newt's face.