Chapter 13

I lay wide awake in a hammock near Minho and Newt. I could hear Chuck snoring at a distance. The young boy, barely a teen, sent here and trapped in this place. I felt affection towards him, like he was my younger brother, and I felt the urge to protect him, no matter what. I looked over at Newt, who slept so peacefully, his hair a mess. I wanted to go, smooth out the caramel locks, and watch him sleep. Then I realized I was being a creep. So, I turned to the left, and saw Minho, his hair perfectly there, and nearly laughed at his position. He was splayed out, a leg dangling out the hammock, occasionally snoring. He looked younger when he was asleep, compared to when he was awake. I shook my head, and sat up. It was impossible for me to sleep.

I carefully headed towards the woods, trying not to step on anyone. There, I laid down, leaning against the tree, and slept without meaning to.

*Dream*

I'm sitting with Stephen and a girl with black hair and startling blue eyes. We are alone, and I can see the frustration in his eyes.

"I can't do it," he growled.
"Look, Tom. If we're going to find out what's going to happen, then we need to do as they say," the girl spoke.

"They'll lie to us like they always do," I stated matter-of-factly. "They'll sugarcoat it in salt and make it even more bitter."

"Zia, you're not helping," the girl snapped.

"Was I supposed to help?" I scoffed.

"Both of you," Stephen groaned.

I sighed in response. "Look, Thomas. If we create the building, we're going to be the ones to kill them all. If we don't, we'll die. It's a simple choice."

Thomas? I thought his name was Stephen. Maybe we're using our middle names?

"We can't die because it'll be worthless. They'll make the project with us or without us."

"Teresa's got a point. We'll also spy on the system and try to help the others live, we can do it," I spoke.

Thomas sighed, signalling that our debate was over. We stood up, about to leave the room.

'Zia,' I heard Teresa's voice in my head. 'You do realize one of us is going to...?'

'It won't happen. I won't let them... do to him what they're planning to with Rachel.' I replied in her head.

'Protect Thomas. You'll be the first to go out of all of us.'

'I promise.'

'I'll miss you. You are my best friend after all.'

I smiled softly, concealing the grief.

'Me too.'

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I woke up to someone gently shaking me. I stretched out, only to cuddle in the blankets again. I heard a soft chuckle.

"Wake up, sleepyhead," Newt whispered.

"I don't wanna," I pouted, burying myself deeper into the blankets. Wait... blankets?

"You have to, I gotta show you something," Newt tried to tug the blankets off me gently. "I didn't put them here so you can sleep all day."

Reluctantly, I sat up, opening my eyes and realizing I couldn't see anything. I lifted my hand and realized I was trapped in a blanket. I could hear Newt struggling to keep his laughter in as I blindly looked for an exit. Finally, I shrugged and laid back down.