Chapter 25

*Thomas POV*

(A/N: There isn't much to write about Zia being in the maze so...)

By the time I walked to the Greenie box amidst the murmurs and exclamations, a big crowd had formed. I saw Newt hop into the box and look up at us.

"It's another girl," he simply announced.

Vera, Ren, and Harper, the three girls, were ushered to the front. They frowned at her and Ren asked, "Is she dead?"

Just then, the girl gasped awake, her sharp blue eyes so familiar. Her eyes darted around the faces and stopped at mine. She frowned slightly.

"Thomas. Where's Zia?"

After that, she just fainted again.

And, of course, her calling my name made everyone turn to stare at me. I squirmed a little under their gazes and looked back at Newt. He was frowning and looking at me, deep in thought. Alby did not look happy at all. People moved the girl to the medhut and I was called to the Gardens to work as a Track-hoe aka gardener. I had complained about it and had begged Newt to ask Alby if I could be a runner. It had only ended with Newt yelling at me. I brought it up again and now he sent me to go get the fertilizer.

"'Go get the fertilizer, Tommy,'" I mimicked angrily in the woods. I heard a crunching noise and looked to see Ben who punched me. I ran from the woods, with him screaming "it's your fault!" again and again. I cried out for help, only to be tackled again. I could feel him squeeze my arm so hard, I thought I would lose it. It ended with Newt smacking Ben in the head and us discovering that he's stung.

"No, please, I can get better!" Ben cried out as he was dragged away. I asked what would happen to Ben.

"Banished," Newt replied.

"What do you mean banish?" I frowned.

"He'll be banished and sent into the maze tonight," Newt patiently answered again.

"Oh."

He glanced at my bruised arm and then frowned again.

"What's that sticking out of your pocket, Tommy?"

"Huh?" I looked down and saw something sticking out of the pocket. I pulled it out and held a picture in my hand. Newt gasped.

The picture was of several people, and I recognized most of them. I felt a headache as I felt something pop up.

I'm grinning stupidly at everyone who has gathered. Minho, Newt, Chuck, and the girl who had come up the box today. There were two others, but I don't know their names. The boy has brown hair and an olive complexion while the girl has black hair swept back into a ponytail with brown eyes.

We are all drenching wet as if we were in the rain, and I feel pure joy and happiness.

I position a camera and step away.

"Alright guys, photo time!" I holler, interrupting their chatter.

They quickly position themselves, teasingly blocking the girl with the ponytail. Chuck stands on the far left next to the boy with olive complexions. The girl with blue eyes stands on the far right while I stand between Newt and Minho, Newt on my right next to her, and Minho on my left next to the boy with brown hair. The other girl tries to get in the picture, but we teasingly prevent it, putting our arms around each other's shoulders, creating a link. Finally, she huffs as I press the button for the timer to start. She smacks me, Minho, and Newt on the back of the head before tackling us, her face in between mine and Minho's, her cheek against mine. We all lose our balance and sway while laughing. Her arms bring Minho and Newt closer to me, and I reach up to pat her on the head with my left hand, crossing my body and reaching her just as the camera shutter clicks and the picture is taken.