Chapter 29

Thomas had a nasty bruise forming on his left lower jaw. Newt was just covered with soil from the gardens. He dismissed Clint, and pulled us into another room.

"What in the bloody hell happened back there?" Newt demanded.

"I don't know, he was explaining his memories and then he started strangling himself," Thomas looked bewildered.

"It looked like he had no control over himself," I whispered hoarsely.

At last, the boys gasped dramatically when they looked at my situation. I shrugged.

"Zia! Your neck!" Newt yelped.

"Yeah, I kinda forgot about the Zia getting strangled by Alby part," Thomas winced.

I rolled my eyes.

"Thanks, I feel so appreciated," I wheezed. I sounded like a dying cat that could barely be heard.

Just then, a knock sounded on the door, revealing Ren. She took one look at all of us and then gasped when her eyes landed on me.

"Zia! Your neck!" Ren echoed Newt. I glanced at Newt, amused, before shrugging at Ren again.

"No big deal," I croaked. I felt my throat sting and coughed. It hurt even more now.

What is it with you and injuries? Seriously!

I shook my head, giving a rattling sigh. Newt gently lifted my face, tilting it one way, then the other, as to inspect the wound. He looked so worried and pained that I unconsciously grabbed his wrist and rubbed circles on his hand. His brown eyes dug into my soul, and I felt the familiar feeling of safety in them. Someone cleared their throat, making us jump in surprise, letting go of each other as I inspected the wall. I glanced at Newt, whose face was bright pink. Thomas looked unamused while Ren smirked.

"So, we have to find a way to protect the maps," Newt broke the silence.

"Who would try to attack the maps?" Ren asked. I shrugged in response.

"Possibly the Creators. We never know," I wheezed.

Ren crossed the room and quietly pulled me down onto a chair. She then started to tend to my neck.

"The creators will attack the maps? For what purpose?" Thomas frowned.

"Zia's right. Even if it's not the creators, someone might try to destroy it. You never know," Newt supported.

"Then it would have to be a glader," Thomas pointed out.

"A betrayer might be here, we never know. Also, if someone can control Alby, then someone can control any of the gladers," Newt brought up a depressing topic.

"Who would betray us? They lived here for three years or so," Greenie frowned.

"Betrayal is unpredictable. It may occur because of some selfish reason, or it might occur because of someone's weakness being targeted. Threats and bribery are the most common causes behind betrayals. Also, the whole point of betrayals is for someone to hurt the other person who trusted the traitor. The more the victim trusts, the more painful the betrayal is," I explained, croaking and coughing at times.

I earned a light smack on my back from Ren.

"No talking for you, not until tomorrow at least," Ren scolded. I made protesting noises, making her clamp her hand over my mouth.

I rolled my eyes and crossed my arms across my chest. Ren dropped her hand from my mouth and I sat there, quietly.

"We'll settle it later, with Minho. For now, go do your jobs," Newt walked out, pausing for a second. "Actually, since you two are runners, just go do whatever."

I rolled my eyes again. This was going to be a long day.