Chapter 31

We were all huddled together in Homestead now, Alby, Newt, Thomas, Chuck, Minho, Teresa, and I were all huddled near the door while the other gladers were cowering in the packed room.

"We have to guard the maps," Thomas frowned, worried.

"Thomas is right," Alby spoke up suddenly after a while of silence. "I'll go right now."

He slipped out the door before I could protest any further. Dammit.

"We need memories in order to escape this hellhole," Minho curled his hands into a fist in frustration.

Memories... if we were to obtain memories, it would have to be of someone important, someone different from the rest of us. Someone who had a lot of knowledge before they were sent up into the maze.

Someone who built this place and caused it all. Someone who was a part of the Creators. You, Thomas, and Teresa.

'Don't do it Thomas. I know what you're thinking, but don't.'

I heard Teresa echo in my head.

'But what if I can help them? What if I can save them all?'

Oh great, Tommy was thinking the same thing as me. It was encouraging, how we both had the same idea and he was constantly called stupid by the others. That does not make me stupid. No. NEVER.

"Get some sleep, we're going to need the energy," Newt broke the silence. Chuck was already huddled under a blanket next to Ren who was dozing off too. Harper was nowhere to be seen, but Vera was talking quietly with Clint. I suppressed a delighted smirk.

The rest of the gladers took my advice, and one by one, they fell asleep, the tension in the room so suffocating.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The screams woke me. The screams of the boys in panic as they ran out of Homestead, acknowledging that it was no longer safe. The shrieks of the Grievers vibrated in my bones, and I stood up and grabbed Chuck, my first instinct to protect him.

Newt and the others were wide-eyed and grabbed their weapons, trying not to hurt another glader as a griever tore through the wall on the furthest side from the door. Gladers scrambled even more frantically, making it impossible for me, who was standing right next to the door in front of a window, to step in and drag Chuck out with them. A shattering noise echoed behind me, and I felt myself being shoved towards Thomas, who, wide-eyed, caught me before I hit the ground. I quickly regained my balance and looked behind me to see Robbie in the clutches of a griever, eyes wide with terror.

"ROBBIE! NO!" I screamed, my vocal chords protesting. I fought from Thomas's grasps and tried to grab Robbie, but was held back by two other boys.

"NO! LET GO OF ME! ROBBIE!"

"Protect Vera, promise me! Then we're even," Robbie hollered. He then disappeared from sight.

Minho, who had been holding me back with Newt and Thomas, grabbed me by my left wrist, dragging me out of Homestead with him. The others were all running on their own, some to the box, others to the woods. I yanked my arm out of Minho's grasp and he glanced at me, his expression apologetic and full of grief. He opened his mouth to speak, but I shook my head.

"No. Not yet," I croaked.

The Glade was on fire.

"OVER HERE! MINHO! ZIA!" I saw Newt, Thomas, Chuck, and several other friends of mine run into the Map Room. Alby was there too, when I ran in. We all hid, quietly tensed, and waited for it to all pass. We could hear the hollers of several unlucky gladers off at a distance.

"Where's Robbie?" Vera asked. I averted my eyes from hers.

"Taken," I simply whispered. I heard her sharp breath intake, and looked everywhere but her.

We were all distracted, however, when the ceiling tore open and a griever arm grabbed Chuck.

"CHUCK! NO! HOLD ON!" Thomas yelled.

"NO SHIT!" Chuck held on to Thomas with all his might. Angry, I sliced off the arm with a weird looking sword thing.

Chuck fell safely into Thomas's arms, and Teresa grabbed him back. We had short time to sigh in relief. The griever arm came back, and grabbed Alby.

"ALBY!" We all yelped and I held onto one of his arms.

"Remember the promise Zia. Protect them, and be strong," Alby yelled. "Thomas, you better lead them out of here, you're the only one who can."

Then, our leader disappeared, leaving a heavy feeling in my heart.