Chapter 23

*Normal POV*

I sat against the door of section 3. It was the section I ended up in. I'd tried to climb over the maze walls using the vines, but there was no visible end in sight. The outer rim had been crawling with grievers, and I knew that I'd have a better chance of survival out here than out there. Thankfully, it was morning, a time when I could rest after running for my life during the night. I wanted to be out of here and free. I wanted to see Newt and Minho. I wanted to tell them that I couldn't settle what I felt for each of them. It was impossible to know. I felt myself dozing off and let sleep take me.

*dream*

I see myself, a girl of ten, and I am wearing a black tanktop along with black leggings. I stand there, blindfolded and with several weapons in a belt hung around my waist. A whirring noise is heard, and I relax myself. Suddenly, an holographic image of men show up, but they're holding real weapons: guns. I merely send several blades flying in their direction, hitting them. They disappear and a monster shows up. It looks human, but smells of rotting flesh. It screams making the room echo with it's horrid voice. I merely slice it with a swordlike object. I hear the splattering noise of blood and a hollow thump as the body falls. The door opens, and a man with blurry features steps in clapping. I lift my blindfold off and address him, my face being blank like a paper.

"Well done, Lyell."

I merely look at him before cleaning the black blood on the blade. I feel a hand on my shoulder and see him smiling. How I know he's smiling is another mystery.

"You are the perfect vessel, and the perfect weapon. You will be our trojan horse, and you will be honored," the man compliments me.

"Thank you, father," I meekly nod my head, showing my acceptance of his compliments.

He grins widely and I feel a burst of pain erupt from my neck. I feel myself slipping into unconsciousness as I hear him say something.

"We should be the one thanking you."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I snapped my eyes open. I felt slight vibrations from the ground and wondered if that was what had woken me. I look up and peek into the corridor where I heard noises from. A person was running down the hallway, towards where I was. It wasn't a calm sort of running, though. I saw panic on his face as he scrambled frantically. I soon realized why when a metallic whirring and clicking noise erupted. But it was daytime!

"Shuck shuck shuck," I heard. I realized who it was. Ben.

He ran, completely panicked, towards the now open door. The griever started to gain on him, screeching in anger. I saw an intersection that Ben would definitely run to. I waited until the perfect timing to grab his shirt and drag him out of there. He looked at me, shock and surprise written on his face as his mouth dropped to the floor and his eyes bulged.

"Z-zia?"

"Nice to meet you too, shuckface," I smiled briefly before dragging him down the corridors with me. "Now isn't the best time to reintroduce ourselves and catch up though."

"No shit," Ben kept up with me. The griever squealed with delight at the prospect of earning two tasty meals. We sped down the corridor, taking the left turn. He stumbled, and slowed down, causing him to be just in the grips of the griever.

"GET UP!" I yelled at him, as he tried to get his feet under him.

The pathway to the Glade was now clearly there for Ben to go to. I realized that if I didn't run with him, I wouldn't be able to make it back again to the Glade entrance. I spared a glance at the panicked and paled boy. He was sweating and he was turning clammy. Realizing that he was stung, I hesitated for a moment, but that was all the griever needed. It stood there, watching me and Ben, slowly approaching as if it was trying to choose which one it wanted. I yanked Ben's hand again, running towards the entrance. I could smell the grass of the glade, the feeling of home, and I could hear laughter. I shoved my longing away and let go of Ben's wrist that I had been holding, in order to yank him out. The griever clicked at me, and I pushed Ben back, behind me and towards the Glade.

"Do you trust me?"

I glanced at the boy. He seemed taken aback by the question.

"Yes," he panted.

"Then don't look back and keep running. Run towards the entrance. Never look back," I ordered.

"But what about you? Minho, Newt, Robbie, Vera, Chuck... they all miss you and they're devastated, thinking you're dead," Ben hesitated.

"Tell them I'm alive. But just get the hell out," I growled.

He didn't need to be told twice. The poor kid bolted out, disappointing the griever. It attacked me, and I ran away from the entrance distracting it from the boys in the Glade. Soon, deep inside the maze, I danced with the odd weapons poking out. I sliced one of its legs off with the machete I'd brought with me. It cut my leg in response with a pair of scissors. I yanked it off and stabbed the slimy thing. The griever howled in pain as I stabbed it straight in the eyes. It lunged for me one last time with it's stinger, and it hit a mark. A crack in the wall where my face had been.

I kicked it off and delivered the final blow, ending it's horrifying life.

I ran towards the doors again, hoping that I might be able to leave this hellhole into a relatively nice hellhole. I turned the corner again and watched the doors slide shut again. I wanted to scream and claw my way out but I just stood there, drained and bloody. I watched as I saw someone walking away from the doors, their black hair perfectly in the air. I felt a pang in my chest as I watched wordlessly, wanting to reach out and feel his familiarity.

"Minho..." I croaked. I knew they wouldn't be able to hear me, but I saw him halt and look back, catching my eyes just when the doors completely shut.

I heard the maze come alive one more time as Grievers moved around the changing sections. I decided to run again, like Minho would have advised me to do. I huffed as my leg wound opened up when I bent my left knee. I looked back one last time at the door to the Glade and started the same cycle of survival that I'd done yesterday.

A/N

Yes, I just posted 5 chapters at once. Think of it as a bday gift from me :). (It's my bday tomorrow) Enjoy! vote, comment, pls. 

LJ