The Darkest Times

The world seems like a blur once he opened his eyes, groggy to comprehend what's going on around him. His ears can't catch the screams and yells of people, blocked and suppressed. Slowly, he gets up, a sharp pain on his lower abdomen once he's on his elbows but suddenly, he's pushed back, laying on the soft surface beneath him. He blinks again and this time, his sight focuses on the ceiling above, light panels above him. His ears adjust to the sound of familiar voices, turning his head to meet familiar and distraught expressions.

The person on his right yells once again, "Dejun's awake!!"

The door bursts open, more familiar faces flooding into the room. Xiaojun tries to speak but his throat feels incredibly dry, swallowing and clearing his throat. Someone comes up to him, handing him a water bottle, slowly helping him get up. As he takes large gulps of water, he finally speaks in a hoarse voice. "What happened?"

No responses were made, immediately brought into a hug by Lucas. "Don't you dare say such words ever again," He cries.

Oh.

He recalls seeing Lucas in front of him as he bled out. The shorter truly believe he wasn't going to make it. Ten joins in, gasping in relief and sobbing into the younger's neck. YangYang tears up, looking away.

"How?" Jungwoo points his hand in Donghyuck's direction.

"He saved you." The Chinese male's eyes relax, bowing to the young one who scowls. "Donghyuck... thank you, really."

The said boy looks away with a huff. "It's no big deal." Renjun smacks his head. "Yes it is, Xiaojun Ge could have died for God's sake!"

That's when Xiaojun sees it. Kun and Hendery don't come to hug or scold him like it's the greatest sin in the world. He stops moving, frozen and shocked with wide eyes. Wide and tearful ones.

Ten and Lucas pull away once they felt the sudden stillness of the younger.

"Where's Guangheng? Kun Ge?? Did we-" It's frantic and worry some, Jungwoo, who handed the younger the bottle, places a hand on his shoulder, a signal to slow down. His members around freezes. The Nightmares turn away and Doyoung gets up from his bed, limping over to the five, Jaehyun following.

Jungwoo turns to Taeyong who's also troubled by the Chinese male's words. With a sigh, he turns back, locking eyes with the other.

"I'll tell him." Jungwoo then says. Silence.

"Dejun," The instructor's voice was heavy and pensive; careful and solemn. The latter's heart rate increases by the older's tone, already hearing the unsaid words. The younger lays on his back again, putting an arm over his eyes.

"They're gone, aren't they." Tears roll down and soak into his sleeve.

There's a strained voice, YangYang's. "Yes."

"Who else?" Xiaojun croaks out.

"Taeil Hyung and Johnny Hyung." Taeyong solemnly responds, voice breaking. Ten goes over to hug the leader, crying along with his husband in grief once again.

"We haven't retrieved Hendery's body nor Seonghwa's. It should only take a week..." Yoongi walks to the gang in such a demised manner, tone dead.

"Ge..." YangYang held the older's hands tightly. The shorter doesn't budge so he pulls the latter up into a tight hug. The two mourn together for the loss of the four and moreover, the seven of them.

☘︎︎

How long have I been absent?

Jungwon blinks up at the ceiling, awakening to the touch of someone's hand linked with his. The leader slowly turns his head to the left. He sees Jay sleeping against his seat and sees Sunghoon on a bed right behind. Jungwon turns to his left and sees Sunoo sitting with Niki, mindlessly playing with the younger's hands. He shifts his head from its original position, finding it comfortable than twisting his neck that throbbed in pain.