Chapter 23

Chapter 23

The drive would usually take anywhere from an hour to thirty minutes over that. It was a miracle we didn't get pulled over at the rate Rico was going.

Forty-two minutes is all it took to get to Hollow Springs. I watched the surroundings very carefully as we drove to Rico's parents' house. After about fifteen minutes of thick vegetation there was a break in the tree line allowing me to see a large gated community.

In order to get to the gated community we turned down a side road that was thankfully well paved. I had to use the restroom and bumps would make the struggle harder.

The gates of the community were open to my surprise. On the way Rico has explained that his family was very protective and can seem a bit defensive at times.

Considering my family, and life I was quite accustomed to it by now. Nonetheless I would tread carefully. Rico also explained that his mother was not like other werewolf parents. She lived like she was still eighteen, would throw a tantrum to get her way, but would kill to protect those she loved.

This sounded normal to me. Is that bad?

At the end of the road stood the giant iron gate that separated the community from everyone else. We drove past the designated entrance down some winding roads and to a big two story house.

The house had a frost colored base with a big ivory colored door. There was a stone path that led to the front porch. Long grass covered either side of the path and extended beyond the low gate encompassing the house.

I was too busy observing the house to notice we had stopped. Rico was already opening my door by the time my brain officially caught up with my body.

I went into mental freak out mode as Rico helped me out of the car. My body was moving absentmindedly with Rico's hand on my lower back as a guide.

Every what if question that fit the situation invaded my thoughts. Clearly sensing my utter panic Rico grabbed my hand to turn me around.

With the utmost sincerity in his eyes Rico told me that it was going to be ok. There was nothing to be scared about and that he would be with me the whole time.

His closeness matched with the sincerity he was showing made me believe him. My mind had returned to my body as we walked up the stone path I had observed moments ago.

I was surprised that Rico wasn't rushing to the house since there was an emergency with his mother, but I brushed those thoughts off. Maybe he was just trying to stay calm on my behalf.

Rico knocked a few times once we reached the front door. Butterflies were swarming in my stomach as we waited. On the second set of knocks the door opened revealing a younger version of Rico.

The only differences I found between the two were of course age, height, and eye color. This guy who I am assuming is Rico's little brother was probably close to six foot with dark brown eyes.

"Roscoe where's mom?" My mate asked in his sexy baritone. The Roscoe person stared at me for a moment before Rico asked again gaining his attention.

"She's laying down in her craft room. But she's not in a good-" Rico shoved past his brother into the house. He still had my hand so I was dragged down the hall with him.

Instead of trying to take in any detail I focused on trying not to fall on my face. My legs were not as long as Rico's making it a bit challenging to keep up with his long strides.

Our pace slowed as we reached a door on the left at the end of the long hallway. My mate tapped his knuckles on the door twice when a hoarse voice allowed us entrance.