12

I lay on my bed until there's a knock on the door. I sit up and walk towards the door. I open it and it's Devon.

"Alana, what's wrong?" He asked sitting on my couch.

"Nothing's wrong Dev." I stated looking at him.

"Yes there is, first you changed your wardrobe, then you said your name is Monroe. There's something up and I wanna know now!" He demanded.

I sighed and looked at him."I know who Jacob is."

"What do you mean you know who Jacob is?" He asked furrowing his eyebrows.

"I mean, I knew Jacob since 2nd grade. We attended the same high school. One day, we talked and hit it off well. He came to my house, slept in my bed. We finally started going out. After 6 months, one day he just disappeared...he left. I went to his house, there was no furniture..it was empty. Then yesterday when he thought I was 'Monroe' I knew that if you said Alana he would've immediately recognized me. That's why I changed my outfit. We spoke in the car, and he told me why he moved. Then I lied saying I wasn't Alana, I'm her cousin. He has a kid Devon. He has a girlfriend too! He didn't even break up with me, so we're still technically together. I should've never went out with him." I stated to Devon. He walked up to me and hugged me.

Jacob hurt me. He doesn't even know it.

"Why didn't you tell him?"

"How am I going to tell him? He might think I'm a stalker." I said.

Devon lightly chuckled."You guys were meant to be."

"What? How?"

"He moves to California, then dad calls you and say move to California with us right after! That's fate. Don't give up. I know he hurt you, and trust me I'm gonna talk to him about that, but there is a 1 in a, I don't know, billion chance of you reuniting with the love of your life after they move across the country." He states.

"Wow...Your just like my brother." I said staring at him realizing he slighty resembled my brother.

"How so?"

"Before my brother left me, he always told me some good advice. He protected me from the boys, he disapproved with my outfits and he was always there by my side when I didn't have nobody and when I needed them the most." I said smiling at me.

"I love you Alana." He said looking at me.

I looked at him. "I love you too Devon." I hugged him tightly.

"I'm so thankful I have a big brother again." I said as we swayed back and forth.

"I'm thankful to have another beautiful young sister." He said in my ear. We finally pulled away and talked for hours. As we were talking I got a notification. It was from Foot Locker.

'Hey Alana, the Midnight Navy Air Retro 4s has released today. Come get it before it's sold out!'

"Oh snap!" I exclaimed interrupting Devon's sentence.

"What?" He said looking at my phone.

"You better hurry and get them! I already got them." He said. I sucked my teeth and threw on my sneakers and rushed out the house. I took Devon's car to Foot Locker. Daddy said they're sending my car back to me and it might come in like another week.

I pulled out the driveway and drove to Foot Locker. I got out my car and went into the kids section. I found my shoe but it was in the baby size. I walked to the register.

"Do you guys have these shoes in a 4?" I asked. The guy chuckled and went to the back and got my sneakers. I squealed and thanked him. I purchased it and headed back to the other side with the regular size sneakers. I want to buy something for Devon to show my appreciation for him. I spotted these blue skin snake Nikes.

These are perfect for him!

I took them up and asked the guy if they have this in a size 11. He looked at my feet and looked at me.

"They aren't for me, they're for my brother." I said smiling. He smiled back and went and got them for me. I purchased that and before I left I looked around. I was my phone when I walked out and I bumped into someone. My shades fell off and my phone fell. I hope neither of them broke.

"I'm sorry." I said taking my shades examining it to see if there is a crack. I looked up and the person had an afro and my heart rate started increasing. He grabs my phone and looks at my phone screensaver. His eyes widened. He looks up at me and it's...

Jacob.

"Alana?"