The Devil's Pawn

I awoke to the sounds of trucks beeping. Prying my eyes opened, I glanced at the clock next to my bed.

                9:37.

                I groaned, stretching my arms above my head. It was too early on a Saturday morning to be awake. I rubbed my eyes, pulling jeans on. I ran a hand through my hair, not glancing at my reflection in the mirror as I left the room heading downstairs.

                Mom stood in the window, her face hardened. Her boney arms were crossed tightly over her chest with her hip cocked. She chewed on her bottom lip nervously.

                I walked over, standing on her side to see what she was looking at. Two moving trucks were parked outside the house across from us, people walking in and out with furniture. I could see two unfamiliar cars parked along the curb, most likely belonging to the owners of the house.

                The house had been vacant for a few months now, the previous owner moving out because of the death of the husband. The Burns. That’s who previously lived there. They were the only people Mom liked in our neighborhood.

                “We have new neighbors” Mom said, her voice a little snippy.

                I nodded, “You going to say hello?”

                Mom shrugged, not taking her eyes away from the house, “Maybe. Why, do you want to?”

                “Not particularly.” I mumbled

                “If I see any of those other people saying hello, then we will.”

                The ‘other’ people would be every house around ours. “They probably won’t.”

                “I hope not.”

                I laughed. I didn’t have to ask to know that Mom didn’t want to socialize with our new neighbors. Mom wasn’t a people-person, preferring to spend her time cooking, cleaning, or working.

                “Did you see any kids?” I asked hopefully. I crossed my fingers behind my back.

                “No. I think it’s just a man living there alone.”

                I sighed. I was the only person at my bus stop, which made me the only kid in my neighborhood. I longed for anyone, not matter the age.

                It got lonely after a while.

                “I know, sweetie.” She understood that I had always wanted someone, whether I could just babysit or actually talk to. I had friends, but they lived farther away.

                “What are you two staring at?” My father asked. I turned around to see him walking into the room, a cup of coffee in his hands. His glasses rested on the tip of his nose showing that he had been reading the newspaper. He only wore glasses to read. The remaining hair on his balding head stuck up randomly.

                “Hello Dad” I smiled

                “Hey, sweetie” He didn’t return the smile, his eyes trained on Mom. She didn’t turn around.

                “We have new neighbors, Harold” Mom said with a strained voice.

                Dad groaned, “Did you see any kids?”