It Was the Road

~Winta's POV~

I think every bone was aching in my body by the sixth hour in the car. Probably because I had fallen asleep in a rather uncomfortable position where my head was in my lap, and my legs were crossed. Needless to say, you shouldn't ever try falling asleep like that. It hurts.

Oh, but the car ride only got better when Hannah woke up. She decided we should play "I Spy," so I was caught in the middle of a search for something black.

There's a lot of options, too. That is, when you're driving through the mountains. Is it a rock? Is it a button inside of the car? Or is it the only other car on the road for miles in either direction?

Turns out, all of those guesses were wrong.

It was the road.

~~~

Hannah then decided we should play the Sign Game, where you have to look for a sign that has a word starting with A, then B, then C, and so on, so forth. I immediately refused.

"We're on a road going through the Sierra Nevada Mountains, where we haven't seen a town for literally, like, twenty miles? And you expect us to randomly find a sign? Like, oh yeah, there's totally gonna be an Applebee's coming up on the next left," I remarked sarcastically. Hannah shrugged.

"You never know," she exclaimed, as she searched the wilderness outside her window.

"I do, though. What are the odds of a restaurant being on the side of a mountain?" I asked, throwing a hint of annoyance into my voice so Hannah gets the clue I don't want to argue.

We passed a McDonald's, then. Right after I had acknowledged the probability of a restaurant being anywhere near us. Hannah let loose a humungous giggle.

"About as high as they can get, apparently," Hannah chuckled.

"I don't believe it," I mumbled, and proceeded to stare out my own window. I was so done with this car ride.

It's a shame that there were still eleven hours left of it.

~~~

I woke up again, even more sore than the last time. I hadn't even felt myself drifting off, but I guess nearly eight hours in the car with your family can do that to some people.

I checked the time on the little electronic clock in the front of the car, by the radio. It said that it was only noon. Still nine more hours to go.

I sighed. The sound was loud enough to get Alesa's attention.

"Oh, you're up," she acknowledged, and handed me a white paper bag. "We stopped at Chick-fil-A."

I opened up the bag, and the smell of chicken immediately wafted out. I peered inside the bag. Chicken fingers.

I took one out and munched happily on it. It tasted delicious. I was starting to think this car ride might not be so bad when I noticed Hannah staring at me.

"What're you looking at?" I raised an eyebrow as I continued to chew my chicken finger.

"Can I have one?" Hannah asked, eyeing the bag hungrily. I turned away from her, protecting my food. I was starving, and totally not ready to give up the chicken anytime soon.

"No way! Get your own," I demanded, and took another huge bite. Hannah frowned.

"But I wasn't hungry when we stopped," Hannah defended herself, trying to reach for my bag.

"That's your problem, not mine," I retorted, starting on a fresh piece of chicken.

"Winta, give Hannah a piece. At least a little one," Adam piped up from the steering wheel.

"But-"

"C'mon," Adam interrupted, not letting me finish.

"Fine," I gave in, and chucked the tiniest crumb I could find at Hannah. Hey, at least it was something.