16. When it happens

Jennie had completely changed her emotions when she sat at the chair, facing the camera.

She had made sure she looked happy, and had taken a breath mint earlier to musk the smell of the cigarettes fumes from her mouth.

It was working to say the least since she picked the right one, having experience and all that.

"Okay Ms.Kim, just relax, don't be nervous. I'll ask the questions from behind the camera and you can answer to your comfortability, and if you would like to skip a question that's okay as well" the interview said as Jennie nodded having heard the same things so many times now.

"1,2,3.." the interviewer said as Jennie faced the camera.

Many interviewers liked interviewing Jennie as she was fluent in English, having taken classes from a young age.

She also didn't have a Korean accent when she spoke and rather a kiwi one, as she was taught by a mixed Korean who was also from New Zealand.

So she was good, and pretty well over for interviews.

"Go" the instruction came out as Jennie got into work mode.

"Hello everyone I'm Jennie" she said introducing herself as she smiled momentarily to the camera. 

It was more professional than leisure like so she wouldn't smile too much.

"What sport do you do?" The interviewer had started off asking the basic introductory questions.

"I do archery and shooting for the Korean national teams, but for today's competitions I had done archery."She answered stoically with a calm tone.

"That's great, so how's it like doing two sports?" The interviewer asked once again.

"Well it's basically double the training and you have to switch between the two for the competitions. So usually athletes have a hard time training in one sport, but since I do both I have a few more restrictions when it comes to my schedule and my diets. For example, today I competed in archery but in the next competition I could be sent for shooting. All in all it depends on the people count and competitions" she answered.

She was facing forward but the camera was recording slightly from the side, making it look like she was talking to another person while they were filmed.

Jennie acted very formally and polite throughout, answering the questions professionally and factually rather than emotionally.

"I see, so for the next Tokyo olympics, which category would you be competing under?"

"I can't disclose that information, but I will certainly give it all my effort no matter what sport"  Jennie answered as she followed protocol.

"Ah all right, we understand, but we look forward to seeing you. So, at age 18, you are currently the youngest on your team is it not?"

"It is"

"And how is that working out for you, do they, your team mates, treat you any differently?"

"Well in the team, everyone is already past 20, except for me.

The oldest in the archery team is 33, as of who is competing with nationals, and so there is a huge age gap, and we recognise it.

I always treat them with politeness and they have taken care of me since when I first got here, showing me protocol and how training worked.

There is no age ranking in sports though, in terms of how people treat you like it is in Korea where you always have to follow what the elder says, it's a competition and we compete for the country, that's about it.

Being the youngest at first did feel a little out of place, but soon I was fine with it and moved on to training"

"Oh so there is less interaction and more training you mean?"

"Not exactly. We do dine together at times and we do get along, we make sure of it. Hard feelings between others in the same team would cause nothing more than a distraction to people, we can't afford that.

And so, for the sake of competing we have to, and make sure we get along. We often make sure we're honest with each other. In the sense of something another person is doing bothers us, we make sure to communicate it so it doesn't follow up and come in our way later.

That's how a lot of sports teams work either way. Sure a few teams have been reported of bullying from worldwide teams, not only Korean, but we make sure to get along so that doesn't happen, so we can have our focus on training."

"So training is obviously your priority"

"Yea definitely, mine at least."

"Jennie you have been called the best archer of Korea, identified internationally for both sports you  do and your skill level at them, especially your pin point accuracy. So tell me, what does a daily schedule look like for you?"

"Well it's not actually as exaggerated as people might think.

I get up at 5:00, go for a run and jog until 6, then 6-6:10 I walk to the gym which takes longer than you think for some reason, then 6:10-7:40 I work out at the gym, treadmills, weights, and other things.

7:40 I return to the dormitories and leave for a shower, get ready by 8:10, then I go to breakfast till 8:30, and after I head straight to the training facility for archery, and that lasts till around 1:45,

I have lunch till 2, head to the shooting facility till 7, finish up and have dinner, go back to the dorms by 7:30 and do all my school work and online work till 12.

I do take breaks through out the day, and weekends are much more free as training is cut down by a lot, and sometimes I can finish school word early, but that's normally my day." Jennie finishes as she explained her normal schedule, leaving out how exactly the training was.

"Wow, so where does social life come in, do you have a boyfriend?"

"My social life isn't that great, I don't have a lot of time to mingle with others, I have two to three good friends at the institute and have a group of childhood friends I meet with on the holidays. No boyfriends though, and no love interests as of now due to my no time work."

"Wow, so how do you deal with the stress, being a teenager and yet doing so much" she asked as Jennie's mind faded to the earlier methods.

She paused for a moment before pursing her lips and answering stoically.

"I.... have my methods..."