Chapter 65 (Year 6)

River's POV

"Out of here, quickly," Snape yelled, grabbing me and Draco by the arms and pulling us in front of the rest of the death eaters. 

"Move out of the way!" Snape hissed at the people still fighting. They let us through easily, not knowing what we had just done.

I could Remus glance at me, confused, but not being able to follow us as he continued his battle against another death eater. I could hear Hermione, Ginny, Ron, and Neville all fighting. They were too distracted to stop us.

"Take that!" I could hear Professor McGonagall yell. We didn't dare look up or around anymore, as we got outside to the grounds. 

Hagrid had come out now and was yelling at the death eaters around us. We could hear the death eaters attacking Hagrid, but his thick skin and built didn't let him fall down that easily. His hut suddenly erupted in flames, he turned around staring at his home in horror.

"No! Fang's is in there!" I heard him yell before he disappeared into the flames, as a red jet of light flew past Snape. 

"Run!" He yelled at us. Draco and I started running. I turned around, seeing Harry chasing after us with Snape running straight at him. I stopped running and started at Snape, now all alone. 

"Draco," I said stopping. 

"We have to go! Why are you stopping?" Draco asked, looking over his shoulder at Snape and Harry still fighting. 

"I can't, Snape is alone,"

"We have to go, he'll be fine!" I shook my head.

"No! I can't leave him! You go!"

"River!" Draco yelled, but I shook my head again lifting my hands and roughly pushing Draco towards the portkey. He fell back, shocked, his hand landing right on top of the ticking portkey. I watched as he looked between me and the portkey, staring at me in horror before he disappeared. I turned around and started running towards Snape.

"No Unforgivable Curses from you, Potter!" I heard Snape yell, as I finally reached them.

"You haven't got the nerve or the ability—" Snape yelled at Harry.

"Incarc —" I blocked that spell, Harry turned to me, his eyes landing on the dark mark, his face filling with disgust and betrayal.

"You cowards! Your both cowards!" He yelled.

"Did you just call us cowards! Your father would never attack me unless it was four on one. What would you call him, I wonder-"

"Stupe—" Snape blocked him,

"Blocked again and again and again until you learn to keep your mouth shut and your mind closed, Potter!" Harry looked over at me, his face riddled with anger. 

"I trusted you! I thought we were family!"

"Come! It is time to be gone, before the Ministry turns up —"

"Impedi- "Then Harry started screaming, kneeling in the grass as he tried to take deep breaths. Snape and I looked over our shoulders, seeing three death eaters standing there, the largest one with his wand pointed at Harry.

"No!" Snape and I both yelled,

"Have you forgotten our orders? Potter belongs to the Dark Lord — we are to leave him! Go! Go!" Snape yelled, grabbing my shoulder as the death eater stopped, and we all started running again. I looked back at Harry, seeing him lying face fist in the grass.

---

Harry's POV

"How did he die? How did it happen?" Tonks asked me as we all stood in the hospital, standing over Bill who had been attacked by Greybeck.

"Snape killed him, I was there, I saw it. We arrived back on the Astronomy Tower because that's where the Mark was.... Dumbledore was ill, he was weak, but I think he realized it was a trap when we heard footsteps running up the stairs. He immobilized me, I couldn't do anything, I was under the Invisibility Cloak — and then Malfoy and River came through the door and disarmed him —" They all gasped, Luna's lip trembled,

"— more Death Eaters arrived — and then Snape... Snape did it. The Avada Kedavra." I finished, Madam Pomfrey burst into tears.

"R-river?" Hermione asked. 

"She was with them, she had the dark mark, and was at Malfoy's side."

"Oh, what would James and Lilly say? I disappointed them, I should have known," Lupin whispered, shaking his head.

"It's not your fault Lupin, we didn't know," Tonks said, putting a hand on his shoulder,

"I should have. I was supposed to know. If Sirius was here, he would have known,"

"That's not true, we all didn't know."

"It was obvious, she disappeared at random times, she looked uncomfortable when we talked about death eaters, she barley spoke to her friends, even Blaise. She followed us around and listened to every detail we ever said. I heard her even repeating them to herself at times," Hermione whispered.

"How could we all have been so stupid?" I asked. 

"She's James and Lilly's daughter, of course we would have been stupid with her," Lupin said.

"I messed up, Harry. We did like you told us: We checked the Marauder's Map and we couldn't see Malfoy on it, come to think of it, we couldn't see River, so we thought he must be in the Room of Requirement, so me, Hermione, Ginny, and Neville went to keep watch on it... but they got past us." Ron explained,

"He came out of the room about an hour after we started keeping watch. River was with him. They clung onto each other. She muttered something about it being awkward and waved us goodbye, that's when we saw her dark mark. Malfoy must have been checking whether the cost was clear. Then everything went pitch-black- "Ginny explained, before Ron spoke up again.

"— Peruvian Instant Darkness Powder, Fred and George's. I'm going to be having a word with them about who they let buy their products."

"We tried everything, Lumos, Incendio, Nothing would penetrate the darkness; all we could do was grope our way out of the corridor again, and meanwhile we could hear people rushing past us. Obviously Malfoy and River could see because of that hand thing and was guiding them, but we didn't dare use any curses or anything in case we hit each other, and by the time we'd reached a corridor that was light, they'd gone." She finished,

"Luckily," Ron, Hermione, Ginny, and Neville ran into us almost immediately and told us what had happened. We found the Death Eaters minutes later, heading in the direction of the Astronomy Tower. They obviously hadn't expected more people to be on the watch; they seemed to have exhausted their supply of Darkness Powder, at any rate. A fight broke out, they scattered, and we gave chase. One of them, Gibbon, broke away and headed up the tower stairs —" Lupin started,

"To set off the dark mark?" I asked,

"They must have done, yes, they must have arranged that before they left the Room of Requirement,"

"She knows everything about us, she's been telling him," I said, shaking my head.

"Who knows if we'll survive this."