Chapter 18 (Year 3)

River's POV

I walked around Hogsmeade, searching for Christmas presents for my friends. Draco had tagged along with Crabbe and Goyle. Pansy was off in the library with Luna, Daphne and Theo had snuck off somewhere in the castle, while I couldn't find Blaise anywhere.

"Hey! Look over there. What about this for Blaise?" Draco asked as he helped me pick out a present for him. I shrugged.

"I'm not sure he'll enjoy having new quills as a present?" I said. Draco put it down, rolling his eyes.

"Well, what do you want to get him, if you keep saying no to all my ideas?" He said, crossing his arms over his chest. I signed.

"Sorry, it's just you know Blaise. He'll be upset if I don't give him something good," I said, shaking my head.

"Well, he's just going to have to deal with it, isn't he?" Draco said. I laughed, shaking my head.

"Let's just go to the shop and buy him some cologne, it'll be much easier," I said. He nodded.

"Yeah, okay." He said, leading us out of the shop.

---

After buying Blaise cologne, we walked around Hogsmeade. Draco nudged me on the arm, pointing to where Granger and Weasley were watching the shrieking shack.

"Well, well. Look who's here. Are you two shopping for your dream home? Seems a bit grand for you, WeaselBee. Doesn't your family all sleep in one room?"

"Shut your mouth, Malfoy!" Weasley hissed, and Draco laughed.

"Now that's not very friendly. Boys, I think we're going to have to teach Weasel-Bee to respect his superiors. "Draco said, smirking at them.

"Hope you don't mean yourself," Granger said. I narrowed my eyes at her.

"Watch yourself, Granger." I hissed,

"And what are you going to do?" She asked.

"How dare you speak to her like that, you Mudblood!" Just as Draco finished speaking, a snowball hit him over the head. He looked over his shoulder, whipping the snow off his head.

"Who did that?" Draco asked, looking around the clearing. Two more snowballs hit him, and one hits me in the stomach.

"Don't just stand there, you two idiots!" He yelled at Crabbe and Goyle, who looked around just as confused as we were. They go for Weasley and Granger, but fall on their stomach, face first in the snow. Draco grabs my hand and backs us away slowly. The monster pushes us apart,

"Wait a minute, there's something out here — Aaaaaaahhhh!!!" Draco yelled, as his ski mask covered his eyes. He spun around and falls to the ground. Draco stood up quickly, grabbed my hand again, and runs until we knew we were far away from the monster.

"What the hell was that?" Draco asked, panting.

"I'm not sure," I said, confused, as I tried to catch my breath.

"Let's just go back to Hogwarts, since we can't get butterbeers today," I said. He nodded.

---

I work up the morning of Christmas at the Zabini Manor. Mum had invited the Greengrass, Nott, Parkinson, and Malfoy families just like she had done for the past couple of years. I got ready for the Christmas party before walking downstairs, seeing Mum running around with three house elves, helping her get ready.

"Thank you, you guys may go," Mum said to them. They nodded and bowed deeply before apparating away.

"Everything looks great, Mum," I said, looking around at the room that was filled with green Christmas decorations since the Malfoy hated red.

"Thanks, hon," The doorbell rang, and I heard one of the house-elves opening the door. A second later, the Malfoys came in, always the first ones at every Christmas party. Cissy hugged my Mum before turning to me.

"Oh, you look wonderful," Cissy said, putting my hair behind my ear. I smiled.

"Thank you, you look very pretty too," I said. She smiled and walked away to Mum. Draco came up to me, smiling.

"Where's Blaise?" He asked.

"I'm not sure, he's probably still changing," I said, before grinning, an evil thought entered my head.

"Why? You want to get into bed with him again," I said, wiggling my eyebrows at him. He went a little red.

"That was an accident! I didn't know it was him," he said, glaring at me. I kept laughing as we walked into the living room.

"I think you liked it," I said. He ignored me and walked up to the couch where his father was sitting.

---

I hid in the kitchen, trying to find where Mum was hiding the chocolate frogs from me. I heard footsteps entering the kitchen, and I jumped out of the pantry.

"Mum, I swear I wasn't looking for the chocolate frogs, they found me!" I yelled as I held the bag in my hand. I looked up, seeing Draco with an amused smirk on his face. I let out a relieved breath, putting the frogs on the counter.

"Thank goodness it's just you. Mum would have killed me," I said, hopping up on the counter and opening the first bag. I looked at the card, seeing it was another Albus Dumbledore. I signed, rolling my eyes and set it down next to me.

"Want one?" I asked Draco, who was still standing by the door.

"Sure," Draco said, walking over to me, grabbing the one I offered him, and sitting up on the counter next to me.

"You have a big, sweet tooth," Draco said,

"I don't go looking for the candy! They just find me! What am I supposed to do? Say no!" I said, hurt. Draco laughed, rolling his eyes.

"I'll let mother know to send some candies for you with the ones she sends me," Draco said,

"Really! I would love that! Mum doesn't want me to eat too much because one time she found me passed out with tons of wrappers around me." I said, shaking my head.

"And it wasn't even me! I tell you it wasn't! Blaise was eating with me too! And I gave some to the house-elves! So it wasn't just me!" I said, crossing my arms. Draco nodded, smirking.

"Don't worry, I'll get you some more." He said.

"Good,"

"Oh, hey, look," He said pointing up. I looked up, seeing mistletoe hovering above us. I blushed, shaking my head as I noticed Draco's smirk.

"No way," I said, crossing my arms over my chest.

"Ah, come on, don't be a chicken, it's just a kiss.," Draco said, playfully elbowing me. I laughed, rolling my eyes.

"I'm not a chicken!" I said,

"Then prove it," He said with an amused look on his face. I huffed putting the chocolate frog down, rolling my eyes, and grabbing his face with both hands. He looked shocked before smirking, as I leaned in, his hand snaking around to my lower back. I could feel his breath on my face, and I shut my eyes. I could feel my heart beating against my rib cage. Just as our lips were an inch apart, the door burst open. I let Draco go, and he jumped off the counter at least a foot away from me. I looked at the door and saw Blaise walking in.

"What's going on here?" He asked, narrowing his eyes at Draco, whose face was red.

"Were eating chocolate, want one?" I asked. His eyes lingered on Draco, trying to figure out what happened.

"Yeah, want one?" Draco asked, Blaise shrugged and nodded, still looking between us.