Chapter 3 (Year 1)

River's POV-

I woke up the next morning before Pansy and River and got ready for class. She took a shower, changed into her Hogwarts robe, and put my hair in a ponytail. When I had finished, Daphne and Pansy had just woken up.

"It's too early. Why are you up?" Pansy asked, rubbing her eyes.

"I'm going to head down early," I said, grabbing my bag. I walked down to the common room, where some people were already up. I walked out of the common room and tried to find the great hall. After ten minutes, she finally found it.

The Slytherin table was mostly empty as I sat down where I and my friends sat last night, and opened my potions textbook that Snape had gotten me. After a couple of minutes, I heard footsteps approaching me; I looked up seeing Harry Potter, and the redhead he was with last night. He looked at me nervously, rubbing the back of his neck before he cleared his throat.

"Um, hello I'm-"

"I know who you are, your Harry Potter. My half-brother." I said,

"So, you're my sister," He clarified, obviously not knowing who I was.

"No, she's my sister, Potter." Potter turned around, seeing Blaise glaring at him with Draco and Theo.

"What-"

"He's right, Potter, you're my blood, but Blaise is my family. I don't want anything to do with you," I said. Potter went a little red before running away with the redhead. Blaise rolled his eyes and sat down next to me with Draco right next to him.

"Did you see how he ran away? What an idiot," Draco said.

---

"There will be no foolish. wand-waving or silly incantations in this class. As such, I don't expect many of you to appreciate the subtle science and exact art that is potion making. However, for those select few," Professor Snape said, he glanced at me and Draco who both smirked at him.

"Who possesses the predisposition? I can teach you how to bewitch the mind and ensnare the senses. I can tell you how to bottle fame, brew glory, and even stop death. Then again, maybe some of you have come to Hogwarts in possession of abilities so formidable that you feel confident enough to... not pay attention." Snape glared at Potter, who was scribbling something in his notebook. Potter noticed Snape's glare and looked up at him.

"Mr. Potter. Our new... celebrity. Tell me. What would I get if I added powdered root of asphodel to an infusion of wormwood?" Snape asked Potter, a girl with big bushy hair raised her hand.

"I don't know sir," Potter said.

"And the difference between monkshood and wolfsbane?" Snape asked, Draco started laughing. Potter was becoming redder and redder, from annoyance or anger.

"Pity. Clearly, fame isn't everything, is it, Mr. Potter?" Snape asked. The girl with big hair was now standing.

"Clearly Hermione knows. It seems a pity not to ask her." Potter hissed, and the Gryffindors started laughing as Snape scowled.

"Silence! And put your hand down, you idiotic girl!" Snape snapped before he turned to look at me.

"Can anyone tell me what Mr. Potter has so stupidly forgotten?" Snape asked the Slytherins. I raised my hand, and Snape smirked at me.

"Asphodel and wormwood make a sleeping potion so powerful it is known as the Draught of the Living Dead. A bezoar is a stone taken from the stomach of a goat, and it will save you from most poisons. As for monkshood and wolfbane, they are the same plant, which also goes by the name of aconite." I explained.

"Well! Why are you not writing this down?" Snape yelled at the Gryffindors. They quickly took out a quill and wrote everything I had stated down.

---

"Welcome to your first Flying Lesson. Well, what are you all waiting for? Everyone steps up to a broomstick. Come now. Hurry up." Madam Hooch yelled; The Slytherins and Gryffindors had flying lessons together.

"Now, stick out your right hand, over the broom, and say up!" She explained. We stuck out our right arm, and started shouting 'UP'. I stuck my right hand out and yelled 'UP' the broom came up instantly. I looked at Daphne who would scream when the broom rose, and Pansy who already had hers in her hand.

"Now. Once you've got hold of the broom, I want you to mount it. And grip it tight. We don't want you sliding off the end. Your other right hand, Mr. Finnegan. Goodness, boy, what have you done with your eyebrows? "Hooch said, walking down the row of students.

"Excuse me·, Madam Hooch. Given that a few of us have been on sticks. For years, would it not make sense to separate the expert flyers from the neophytes?" Draco said, who stood next to me with a smirk.

"Thank you, Mr. Malfoy, but I'm sure even an expert flyer such as yourself can appreciate the benefits of reacquainting oneself with the basics. Your grip, for example. It's thumb in, not out." Madam Hooch said, pointing to Draco's thumb. Draco went red and scoffed as Madam Hooch moved along.

"I told you that," I whispered to Draco.

"Oh shut up," Draco said.

"Very well. Now when I blow my whistle, I want each of you to kick off from the · ground. Hard. Keep your brooms steady, hover for a moment, then lean forward slightly and touch back down. On my whistle, three... two..." Madam Hooch paused as she noticed Longbottom starting to fly.

"Mr. Longbottom! Exactly where do you think you're going?" She asked as Longbottom start screaming.

"Come down right now!" Hooch yelled. Longbottom flew higher before getting nervous and falling off his broom. His robes got caught on a gargoyle statue. Longbottom looked relieved before we heard his robes starting to rip. He fell straight on his hand. The Gryffindors and Madam Hooch ran over to him.

"Wow, what an idiot," Draco said, as Madam Hooch helped him up, examining his hand.

"Everyone's to keep their feet on the ground while I take Mr. Longbottom to the Hospital Wing. Understand? If I see a single broom in the air, the. One riding it will find themselves out of Hogwarts before they can say 'Quidditch.'" She yelled, walking off with him.

"Did you see his face? Perhaps if the great lump had given this a squeeze, he would've remembered to fall on his fat arse!" Draco yelled, picking up a remeberball that Longbottom had dropped.

"Give it here, Malfoy!" Potter said.

"No, I think I'll leave it somewhere for Longbottom to find. How about up a tree?" Draco said, hopping on his broom, and flying high into the air. Pansy, Daphne, and I quickly became uninterested.

"He needs to be less dramatic, really." I signed, they nodded.

"Agreed." Daphne signed as we watched Draco throw the ball in the air, and Potter fly down and catch it. He flew down, the Gryffindors ran toward him cheering.

"Harry Potter!" Professor McGonagall said, storming onto the field.

"Come with me!" She yelled; Potter's face broke off into a nervous glance at his friends before walking inside with Professor McGonagall.

"Potter's going to be expelled before the end of the first week!" Draco smirked as he flew down.