Chapter 6 (Year 1)

River's POV-

I woke up the next morning, still annoyed that Draco had gotten me detention. I changed into my Hogwarts uniform, fixed my hair, and walked down to the common room. Draco was sitting on the couch. He looked up at me, opening his mouth, but I ignored him and walked straight out of the common room and down to the great hall.

The others came down to the Slytherin table, and Draco sat next to me. I slid over as Pansy and Daphne sat between us.

"You can't stay mad at Draco forever," Pansy said. I shook my head.

"No, that idiot got us in detention. I'm not forgiving him," I said. She shrugged and nodded.

"Can't you just ask Snape to get you out of it?" Daphne asked.

"It's McGonagall. She'll never be convinced to let me ditch it." I signed, and she nodded.

---

"A pity they let the old punishments die. Was a time. Detention would find you all hanging by your thumbs in the dungeons..." Filch said as he led us down to Hagrid's hut.

"A sorry lot this is, Hagrid, I pity you Hagrid," Filch said as Hagrid came out of the hut, tears running down his face.

"Good god, man, you're not still on about that bloody dragon, are you?" He asks. Hagrid ignores him and whispers something to the Gryffindor trio, as I try to look at anything but Draco.

"For god's sake, pull yourself together, man. You're going into the Forest, after all. Got to have your wits about you. "

"The Forest? But I thought that was just a joke. We can't go to the Forest. Students aren't allowed. And there are... werewolves. " Draco said, trying to hide the nervousness in his voice.

"Oh, there's more than werewolves in those trees, lad. You can be sure of that. " Filch said, turning around, and walking back into the castle.

"Sorry about this, Harry. Know it's me that deserves punishin', not you. By all rights, I should be sittin' in a cell in Azkaban tonight."

"It's all. Right, Hagrid. Besides, it's not your fault we were out. After hours. If we hadn't come knocking on ·your door in the middle of the night- "Potter said, as we followed Hagrid.

"What's that?" Potter asked,

"The reason we're here. All righ' now, lis'en up. See this here?" Hagrid says, showing us his fingers that were covered in something silver.

"It's unicorn blood. I found one dead a few weeks ago and two before that first term. This one here's been hurt badly by something. It's our job to find the poor thing. Only one-way ter get that done and that's ter split inter two parties. Ron, Hermione, yeh'll come with me. Harry, yeh'll go with Malfoy and Potter," He said.

"I want Fang then!" Draco said,

"Can I have someone else other than Malfoy?" I asked,

"Sorry, Potter, but it's final," Hagrid said. I nodded. He turned to look at Draco, with a small smirk on his face, as we walked to the forest.

"Fine. But just so yeh know, He's a bloody coward." He said as the group split up in the forest.

We walked around the dark forest, trying to be calm and not jump at every shadow.

"Wait until my father hears about this. This is servant stuff; we should be writing lines or... something. "

"If I didn't know better, Malfoy, I'd say you were scared," Potter said,

"You're too stupid to be scared, Potter, growing up with Muggles. If you were from a real wizard family, you wouldn't be laughing."

"I'm not, believe me!" Potter said. I stop dead in my tracks, looking at the trees filled with sliver blood.

"Um, there's blood all over the trees," I said. Fang started to back off. There was a slithering sound coming from the trees. My eyes land on the barely alive unicorn laying by the trees. A hooded figure went down and started drinking its blood. I started screaming, frozen in my tracks, as Draco grabbed my arm and started running.

Finally, we spotted Hagrid, panting as we finally made it to them.

"There was something! A monster! Drinking the blood!" I yelled, panting. Hagrid went pale.

"Where's Harry?" Hermione asked. I looked behind us, not seeing him.

"Um-"

"You just left him there!" Weasley yelled, glaring at both of us.

"We didn't mean to! We thought he was behind him!" I said. Weasley glared at me and I rolled my eyes as they started searching for Potter.

"Harry!" Granger yelled after we finally found him with a beautiful centaur.

"Oh, it's you, is it, Firenze? I see you've met our Mr. Potter. All right there, Harry? "

"Yeah, I'm alright," Harry said,

"I should go," Firenze said. We nodded as he started to run away and back into the forest. Potter turned to look at us.

"Why are you two holding hands?" He asked. We let each other go, blushing.

"Are we good?" Draco asked as we walked back to the castle.

"Alright, we're good, only because you didn't leave me," I said.

---

"Another year gone! Now as I understand it, the House Cup needs awarding, and the points stand thus: In fourth place, Gryffindor, with 312." Dumbledore said, standing up from his chair.

"In third place, Hufflepuff, with 352. In second, Ravenclaw, with 426, and first place, with 472 points ... Slytherin. House." We all started cheering, smiling brightly as we glared at the Gryffindor table.

"Yes, well done, Slytherin. However, recent events must be taken into account. I have a few last-minute points to award." Our smiles started slipping as I glance nervously at the hourglass with our house points on it.

"First, to Miss Hermione Granger, for the cool use of intellect when others were in grave peril... fifty points."

"Mud blood," Draco mumbled under his breath, as the Gryffindor start cheering.

"Second, to Mr. Ronald Weasley, for the best-played game of chess Hogwarts has seen in many years ... fifty points,"

"My youngest brother, you know!" I heard Percy Weasley say proudly to his friends.

"Third, to Mr. Harry Potter, for pure nerve and outstanding courage, I award Gryffindor House ... sixty points." We were now tied with the Gryffindor.

"And finally... it takes a great deal of bravery to stand up to our enemies, but even more to stand up to our friends. I, therefore, award 10 points to... Mr. Neville Longbottom. "All three tables erupt with cheers.

We stayed quiet as I stared at my goblet of pumpkin juice,

"Assuming my calculations are correct, I believe a change of decoration is in order." Dumbledore clapped his hands and all our Slytherin decorations changed to an ugly red Gryffindor color.

"Stupid Gryffindors." I hissed.

---

The next morning, we boarded the train that was sending us home. The Slytherins were still fuming with anger. We found an empty compartment and sat inside.

"Dumbledore's the biggest lair of them all," I muttered.

"No lie there." Theo scoffed.

"Let's just get this ride over with so I can go home and sleep," I said, looking at the clock.