Chapter 5 (Year 1)

River's POV

Soon Christmas had arrived, Blaise and I had gone home for Christmas break, and the Malfoy, Greengrass, and Nott families all were coming over to our Manor. Every Christmas, my mother through a small party for our families.

I took a shower, straightened my hair, and I put on a nice knee-length, short-sleeved dress that Mum had gotten me from France when she visited a couple of weeks ago.

I had walked downstairs just as the Malfoy came walking in, with my mother and Blaise greeting them and a house-elf taking their coats.

"Hello, Mr. and Mrs. Malfoy," I said, smiling brightly at them.

"Hello, River," Mr. Malfoy said kindly, nodding at me, as Mrs. Malfoy brought me into a hug.

"Hello, honey, you look wonderful," she said, as she let me go, pushing my hair out of my face.

"Doesn't she, Draco?" Mrs. Malfoy turned to look at Draco, who looked at his mother, annoyed.

"I don't know. I guess?" He said. I rolled my eyes and his mother glared at him.

"I guess you look okay too," I said. He scoffed and walked over to Blaise, who had just finished talking to Mr. Malfoy.

"Ignore him, idiot boy," Mrs. Malfoy said, walking away.

---

"Draco, you can't give me another Slytherin tie as a Christmas gift!" I yelled, throwing an empty box at his head. He ducked just in time, covering his head.

"I thought that was a great present!" He yelled, crossing his arms.

"No! I already have five. Why would I want more?" I yelled.

"Well, six now," Pansy said. I rolled my eyes and glared at her. She shrugged and looked at the box of chocolate Draco had gotten her. She had eaten most of them already.

"How thoughtful," I signed.

"Well, it's the thought that counts, right?" Theo said, trying to calm me down.

"The thought! You thought I would have wanted a tie!" I yelled, waving the tie at Theo's face. He looked to Daphne for help, like he always did, when he didn't know what to do.

"Hey! Theo wasn't the one that gave you the tie! Throw it at Draco instead," She said, I nodded,

"Yeah, you're right," I said, throwing the tie at him. It hit him in the face. Draco rubbed the back of his neck as I heard Blaise giggling quietly.

---

"Mum, where is Snape?" I asked.

"He should come soon," She said, looking at the small clock by the tree. I frowned; it was getting late, and he still had not shown up.

The door had opened, and he had just walked in.

"Snape!" I yelled, running up to him and hugging him. He awkwardly stiffened for a second before he hugged me back.

"What took you so long?" I asked, looking up at him and letting him go.

"Sorry, River, I had to go get your present," he explained.

"What is my present?" I asked. He flicked his hand, and a box came hovering in. It landed right in my hands, and I opened it quickly. It was a pretty black necklace that had a snake at the end with bright red eyes.

"Wow, it's beautiful," I said, picking it up. He grabbed the box out of my hands, and I put it on.

"I love it," I said. He smiled.