xviii. afraid

" Keep on dreaming, don't stop breathing, fight those demons

Sell your soul, not your whole self

Oh, if they see it when you're sleeping, make them leave it "

(tw- panic attack)

--CHAPTER EIGHTEEN--

April 4, 1978

Tuesday

At Hogwarts, the days turned into weeks, and as soon as Arabella knew it, it was April. Throughout the past months, she had split her time between tutoring and training. During school hours, she would spend time in her classroom tutoring upper and lower classmen alike. Then after dinner, she would make her way over to the centaur colony. It was not safe for her to walk around the grounds after hours, so Dumbledore had arranged for a centaur, whether it was Firenze, Bane, or another member, to walk her to and from the castle.

Arabella would have weekly update meetings with Dumbledore, mostly about training but with the next prospect of hopefully getting the first Horcrux that month.

Speaking about training, Arabella had significantly improved, not yet moving on from fire, but she hadn't burnt her pants off again. She had become more in touch with her emotions, having better control of them and herself overall. She had fewer nightmares and panic attacks. Arabella was feeling more like herself.

She had been spending her free time with the marauders and the girls, though it was a lot less than she would like. With NEWTS coming up, they spent most of their time in the library. They would come to Arabella's room, but it was usually their designated study time. She was glad that they didn't ask about her order things, but she knew that they had questions on the tip of their tongue, just waiting to ask them. 

Evan and Regulus would also stop by but seeing as they were only sixth years, they would have a lot more free time to spare. Arabella could sense that they wanted to say something to her, something important. They would seek little glances with each other and pass notes, but she didn't want to pressure them into telling her.

Talking about the Blacks, Sirius had been a little distant from her. Whenever she was near, he would become withdrawn. Arabella had thought that it was just the stress of the school, but the way the other marauders would look at them told her a completely different story; she just hoped that he would come clean soon.

----

It was an ordinary Tuesday morning when Arabella was walking back to her classroom. She had gone to visit Dumbledore for a private meeting to finally talk about the events that happened during the first war. She explained to him how Voldemort would start picking off order members one by one until they were all gone. She listed them off as they went; the McKinnon family, Dorcas Meadows, Benji Fenwick, the Prewett twins, the Bone's family, Lily and James Potter all died in 1981.