viii. carmen

" The boys, the girls, they all like Carmen

She gives them butterflies, bats her cartoon eyes

She laughs like God, her mind's like a diamond "

--CHAPTER EIGHT--

--CHAPTER EIGHT--

September 5, 1977

Monday

"Arabella, you need to calm down; stop being so dramatic. It was just a simple question, for gods sake!" Arabella muttered to herself as she got to the door of her classroom. All she needed was a little alone time. She certainly didn't want to take her problems to Benji or McGonagall, so her best option was to hide out in her office.

Opening the door, she turned on the lights and looked around the room; it was just like she had left it. She took out her muggle Walkman and searched the many tapes she had stored in her office drawer. After deciding what she wanted to listen to, and popped into the little device and let it play out loud. During her third year at Hogwarts, Sebastian had gifted her the Walkman but charmed it to play out loud instead of playing through a connected headset.

Arabella moved from her office to the main area of the classroom, bring her music with her.

The song Vienna by Billy Joel was heard throughout the classroom; Arabella had made sure to pick a tape with songs from the '70s because if someone had heard anything other, she knew they would have questions she didn't want to answer.

"Slow down you crazy child

You're so ambitious for a juvenile"

Arabella started singing along to the music.

"But then if you're so smart tell me,

Why are you still so afraid?"

The song reminder Arabella of her father.

Joe Goldstein would play music ridiculously loud on Sunday mornings to wake his children up. He was screaming the lyrics in the manor's kitchen with his wife laughing at him from her place at the table. Sebastian and Arabella would come out of their rooms and groan because they were woken up. They would walk down the stairs and into the kitchen to see their father using a spoon as a microphone pretending to be Billy Joel. Sebastian would take out his camera to capture the moment. 

Joe would notice his children lingering by the doorway, laughing. He would dramatically offer Arabella his hand, and she would graciously accept. They would waltz around the kitchen, making sure to bump into as many things as possible. Mia and Sebastian would laugh at them and join in on the fun. Sunday mornings were reserved for screaming lyrics and dramatic dancing in the Goldstein kitchen, and Arabella wouldn't have it any other way.