xxiv. no body, no crime

" I think he did it but I just can't prove it

No, no body, no crime

But I ain't letting up until the day I die "

--CHAPTER TWENTY-FOUR--

July 8, 1978

Saturday

6:00 pm

Rosier Manor

"What did you say to me?" Eleanor Rosier darkly muttered to her son across the dinner table.

Evan cleared his throat out of nervousness, "I said I'm gay," he stated firmly, or at least that's what he hoped it sounded like.

Hugo Rosier slammed his fist onto the table, "How dare you say such a thing in this house?!" he shouted, "Do you realize how people will look at us if someone finds out? Or worse, what will the dark lord think?"

"I don't care," Evan murmured.

"Speak up, boy!" yelled a red-faced Hugo.

Evan looked his father straight in the eye, "Fuck you," he turned to his mother, "and you. And your precious dark lord. Fuck all of you."

And that's when all hell broke loose. Evan didn't plan for it to go this way. At first, he was planning on telling his parents, but the more he thought about it, the worse the idea seemed. So he would go with his plan b, which was to simply escape in the middle of the night. Though one thing led to another, and his dear mother said something about how they planned for Evan to marry Athena Greengrass, Evan simply lost all sense.

Hugo took out his wand without a second thought and was ready to attack his own son, just how he had done many times before.

"Crucio!" he yelled. Evan didn't even get the chance to run. The red jet struck him square in the chest; pain ran throughout his body. What was just five seconds felt like an eternity. He thrashed and shook from head to toe, completely numbing all his nerves. Evan whimpered, "Please stop."

Now his mother was the one who spoke to him, "You are going to keep that filthy mouth shut. You will marry Athena and join the dark lord's ranks to bring honor to the Rosier name. Do you understand?" Eleanor commanded as she got close to her son's face on the ground. Evan hesitantly nodded his head, not wanting to feel the pain again.

"It seems like the boy can't speak; maybe another round will do," his mother said, walking away from Evan, leaving Hugo to do all the dirty work. And he wasted no time. By the end of what they called teaching a lesson, Evan was sporting a black eye and probably broken ribs. His parents left him on the dining room floor, unconscious for the house-elf to clean up.