xvii. my body is a cage

" My body is a cage

That keeps me from dancing with the one I love

But my mind holds the key "

--CHAPTER SEVENTEEN--

January 9, 1978

Monday

1:50 pm

Arabella weaved her way through the forest, feeling the crunchy leaves under her feet. She had finally decided to meet the centaurs, and hopefully, they could clear a few things up for her. She made it to a small clearing about twenty minutes away from the entrance of the forest, where Dumbledore had told her they would be.

While she waited, Arabella took in the scene before her. The mid-January sun did wonders. It was still quite cold, with the snow barely starting to melt, but that didn't halt nature. She could hear the sweet sound of the birds singing and the trees swaying. She could quite literally feel the grass growing. It seemed like her senses were heightened when she was outside. Arabella started to notice that since her meeting with the ancestors, she could feel the magic in everything she came across. It was almost like the earth was calling out to her, and all she needed to do was listen.

"Hello, young one." said a deep voice making Arabella jump out of her skin.

Whirling around to see who spoke, she came face to face with Firenze and Bane, though Bane looked younger than when she first met him.

She quickly composed herself, "Hi," she said shyly, not knowing how to act around them. "Dumbledore said that you wanted to speak with me?"

Firenze nodded, "Yes. What has Albus told you about us?" he asked.

"Just that you would know about my... powers."

Bane regarded the small girl in front of him, "Mhm, that's right. We can give you answers."

Arabella let out a breath that she didn't know she was holding, "Oh good, cause I have a lot. I-" she started, but Firenze cut her off.

"Not here, child, come with us," he said as he outstretched his arms, signaling for her to follow.

Centaurs walked much faster than humans, so Arabella had to jog to keep up with them, "Where are we going?" she asked, slightly out of breath.

"The colony. Many of us want to meet you, young one," said Bane.

Arabella looked confused, "Why?"

Firenze looked ahead, "We haven't seen a protector in centuries. For many of us, you would be the first."