Uchiha Family Reuinion

It was strange, being here again, now with the tape removed from its entrance and the gates left ever so slightly open, it was easy to imagine that something horrific hadn't occurred here.

That was until you walked inside to be met with the desolate emptiness that only a decade of neglect could create. Dust seemed to coat everything, even on the exterior of the walls, pathways that hadn't been swepts in years, making the entire compound seem desaturated and dead. The plants, overgrown in untended gardens were the only spots of life and freshness, vines crawling into walls and grasses half covering doors.

Yet, despite all of the destruction that occurred here, the emptiness seemed to forget it, blood stains long since cleaned up, making it seem as if the people here had simply vanished instead of perishing in violence and horror.

I didn't want to fill in this peace with those images, those bodies collapsed on the ground and soaking crimson into the dirt that had long let them go. Instead, I directed my eyes to the one spot of vibrancy, the one house recently maintained, where I used to live.

Itachi, in his 'abandonment' so he called it since I moved in with Yui, had moved back to the compound in an effort to start refurbishing it, using the time to trim overgrown plants and clean the outside walls, a comical contrast to the disheveled buildings around it, a little spot of normalcy.

Walking up to the door, I tried not to glance at the room where I'd found my parents, to think after all these years I still couldn't really think about it, and pushed open the door.

My dour thoughts were promptly replaced with confusion, the open door revealing that Itachi was currently dancing around the kitchen with a box in his arms. He looked absolutely ecstatic, moving around the room in a way that vaguely reminded me of how Hinata would idly dance around when doing chores or something. Maybe he picked it up from her... it was weird to think that they'd lived with each other.

Itachi paused as he turned around, "Oh, Sasuke! You've finally decided to show up, hm?"

I crossed my arms over my chest with a frown, "What the hell is that supposed to mean? And what the hell are you doing?"

He just scoffed instead of answering, "Imagine what mother would have thought of that language."

"Imagine what father would have thought about you dancing around like an idiot." I shot back.

"You'd be happy too if you had what I had." he tempted in a way that was oddly sibling-like for him, holding the box like he had some sort of great prize.

Entering the room, I closed the door behind me and tried to peek in, him holding it over his head. I went to grab it, "You can't do that anymore! I'm as tall as you are!"

Realizing that this would only end with spilling the box's precious contents, Itachi sighed, lowering it into view, "Hinata stopped by to give me a very appreciated present from Sakura."
"Pie?" I blinked down at it; was that the thing he'd been trying to make for weeks now?

Itachi nodded, "Yes! But no ordinary pie: caramel pecan, and it is absolutely wonderful."

I reached a hand out, "Is it really that great?"
He jumped back, "It is, and get your own."

"Seriously? It's, like, one piece." This was so oddly childish for him. I couldn't say I hated him actually acting like a brother, but it felt so oddly mundane compared to everything that had happened.

"Get your own." he repeated, leaping back behind the counter as I lunged for the box again.

I let out a frustrated huff, slamming my hands down on the counter, "Whatever. I don't have time for this anyway! Do you have the cloak?"