Another Departure

I kept a careful eye on the clock as I stirred the pot in front of me, checking my watch way more times than necessary as the recipe was practically muscle memory by now. The familiar smells filling the kitchen were calming to me, a reminder of home.

"Is there anything else you need?" Izumi peeked over at the pot, wary as the liquid within had a tendency to spill out.

"Nope, it's time for it to go in the oven now." I replied, pulling open the oven and carefully pushing the pot inside, aware of Neji's eyes on my back as I did so. I literally almost drop the pot once, and now he has to have some ridiculous fear of me hurting myself.

Izumi was a much more relaxing presence to be sure. Ever since he had started dating Neji, he'd stop by the apartment every now and then to help with various chores. It was weird to think that Neji was dating someone, nevermind a boy at that, but Izumi had a calming effect on him that seemed to brighten his mood, and that I was more than supportive of.

Said boy's eyes narrowed as I straightened back up, him giving me a once over before pouting, "It's not fair."
"Hm?" I quirked a brow.

With a sigh, he held a hand up perpendicular to his head and then moved it up a few inches, "Why are you so tall?"

I heard Kiba laugh from the living room, Neji shooting a glare in his direction before standing up and walking to our side of the island, "When did you start worrying about your height?"

"Shut up, you're tall too," Izumi huffed.

"Yeah," Kiba called out, "Everyone's tall compared to you."

"I'm not talking to you!" Izumi yelled back, turning around and crossing his arms over his chest muttering, "Always has something smart to say." It wasn't like Kiba was wrong though, as Izumi stood around 5'6, which put him about average with the girls, me obviously not included.

Neji placed a hand on his head, "But I thought you said you liked being small." it was almost a question, like he was genuinely confused as to why Izumi was upset. It was frankly adorable.

Izumi thought it over, "Yeah, I did say that, didn't I." he then turned to Neji, "It means I can do things like this-" he promptly leapt up onto Neji, wrapping his arms around his neck and his legs around his waist. Neji stumbled back a bit, but caught him on almost muscle memory, this apparently wasn't the first time Izumi had done this.

"Warning next time!" Neji requested although it lacked any bite, his anger melting at Izumi's smile.

Izumi chuckled, "Alright. But it is nice that I can do this whenever I want, being small makes you quite portable," He craned his head back in the direction of the living room, "Unlike some people I can be carried!"

Kiba popped his head over the back of the couch, "Hinata can absolutely carry me!"

"Okay, but if she was a normal girl she couldn't!" he retorted, then looking to me, "No offense."

"None taken." I laughed; he was a spicy one, wasn't he.

Neji sighed, moving to the counter and lifting Izumi up enough so that he could sit him on it, "Are you going to join us, or have you elected the role of the peanut gallery?" he addressed to Kiba.

Kiba's hand stuck up from behind the couch, "I'm good here."

"Peanut gallery it is." Neji smiled, turning and leaning back against the counter in front of Izumi. Izumi leaned forward to wrap his arms around Neji's shoulders, resting his chin on top of his head.

"I thought you said you were going to help." I directed to the living room.

"I am." Kiba scoffed, pointing over the couch to the oven, "You need to stir the rice now."