Just fine

Just fine

I haven't only been going to physiotherapy.

Zoey has told Kwami to get me out of my room.

So he suggested that I help him with his work.

Kwami Mensah not only owns his own company for managers and security, but he is also the Toronto police chief.

There have been riots in the city after the Sammy Yatim case resurfaced.

Mr. Mensah wants my input as a citizen.

"Okay, but in my eyes, it made no sense for the guns to even be pulled. He had a knife, and he was the only one on that bus. The officers were metres away." Actually, I want to change my words.

"Okay, but Izzy the if the officers feel threatened, they'll pull their guns-"

"He was shot nine times! One officer shot him eight times. We both saw that video. He moved forward, so yes, they shot. But why shoot when he was already down? Why shoot five or six more times when he was already down? Why tase him after the nine shots as if he's going to get up? The people will turn against the police force. Sammy wasn't in the right state of mind, and he put the lives of many others at risk. But the conditions were not right."

"The people want life, and they need to know it's practically out of everyone's hands. It lies with the jury. All I can do is the termination and make the public statements."

"What if we take it to the provincial and have more schooling for the officers. It's way too easy to become an officer in North America-"

"Izzy, don't compare what happened to the insanity that is the States."

"Well, if something doesn't change. It could get that bad."

Mr. Mensah leans back in his chair.

I know he knows I'm right.

I speak up again, "There are officers who experience different things, and if one of them is triggering their first instinct the next time could be reaching for that gun. Tell me, how many of the officers you know take up the options to see someone? Or since the majority of them are male, think they'll be seen as weak?"

I, for one, think the same thing every time I'm forced to see Zoey, yet I stay because I know it helps in the end.

"Fine, what I will do is visit each subdivision and personally have a chat with officers in separate groups... now leave, Brooklyn is outside."

I make my way out, "body cams?"

"We are working on it, I promise."

I change quickly and grab everything I need.

I still use the chair but at Kwami's place only.

"I will burn that chair, Izzy," Brooklyn says when I enter her car.

I chuckle, "it's grown on me."

We make it to an abandoned track, I have no idea how Brook found this, but she did.

"Have you thought about what I said?" She asks me.

"I feel good but not 100%. I need these last two months to be sure."

She gives me a solemn nod.

She suggested I go home early.

I get on my shoes. I get to the marked place in the dirt.

"Warm up with two laps." She tells me.

Two is nothing.

"Okay, Izzy, you want to try that two hundred again? Your last time was just over 25 seconds."