Mari

Mari

Amarion texts me that Coach moved practice to this morning. I know that's a lie, and he just wants to meet me early at school. But I go along with it.

Right before I head out the door, Mother stops me and says, "stay away from that boy."

I roll my eyes, and soon enough, I'm at school and walk towards the locker rooms where I know he would be.

"Why did you want me to come to school early?"

He shrugs, "I just wanted to see you."

"This is weird." I lean against the wall, and he stands in front of me.

"Then let's make it not weird-"

"It's funny my Dad wants me to work with you. My Mother tells me to stay away from you." I cut him off.

"You don't seem like the type of girl who likes being ordered around." He smirks.

"I'd have to agree on that one."

"I guess it's time for that daily question. Izzy, will you let me be your boyfriend?"

Do I let Lamar win so he can shove it in my face? Or do I listen to Mother?

That was dumb. Since when do I care about or agree with what she thinks.

I build up to confidence to look him in the eyes and say, "yes."

He looks surprised, "really? Like seriously?"

"Yeah." I don't know why it's a big deal.

But he wasn't thinking when he caresses my face and kisses me.

He pulls away and sees the immediate shock in my eyes.

He jumps back slightly, "did I do something wrong? Was that too soon? I'm sorry I got ahead of myself-"

"You kinda stole my real first kiss." I compose myself looking at the floor.

"Real, what do you mean real?"

"Kissing a boy for a ballet production under the age of five does not count as my first kiss. So you doing that was..." I mumble, trailing off.

"Ohhh. Was it bad? Want me to do it again-"

"Amarion, shut up! No, I don't want you to do it again. And how am I supposed to what is good from bad if you are the only person who kissed me." I start walking to my locker. At least he doesn't follow me.

"Oh my gosh, you actually said my name...I didn't mean to upset you. I'll see you in class!" Is the last thing I hear.

How can I be more embarrassed and flustered at the same time?

...

Over the past two weeks, I feel like I'm being watched. And I can't just tell if it's Amarion because he is now suddenly in my seeing range wherever I go.

He's become a pretty good assistant. Lamar teases us, but it's not too bad.

On payday, Amarion forgot his check. So I chased after him to give it to him. He persuaded me that he should take me home after work. I gave in.

Now it's a regular thing.

We haven't told anyone at school about our relationship. I avoid him more at school than ever. Especially, around his friends. I don't look in his direction in class.

I don't fully trust him, and I'm not going to be played with.

...

Today I skipped breakfast. I usually skip breakfast when Dad isn't home in the morning to make me my meal.