Caught

Caught

"Hey, Izzy-"

"No."

The girl looks at me like I just backhanded her.

"Izzy-"

"Stella, I'm not doing it."

"Why?"

Do I tell her the truth? Or the harsh truth?

I sigh, "Stell do you like just hooking up with random guys then coming home in the middle of the night?"

"Are you still mad about what happened weeks ago?"

I drag my hand down my face. "Stell, the last time I checked, you were the one mad at me. And I don't trust Rick."

"You don't trust Rick, or are you jealous you don't get any-"

"If you want me to turn my back on you, say the words. Just because I choose not to sleep with my boyfriend doesn't mean a thing-"

Why do younger siblings like picking fights? "Why would he want to sleep with you in the first place-"

I roll my eyes, "this sounds like a you problem. Why are you mad that I can keep a guy?"

"I'm not-"

"You know what, let me prove a point." I pick up my phone. I call my boyfriend. I put it on speaker.

"Is there something wrong? You never call this late-"

I cut him off, "Would you sleep with me?"

"Wow, that was out of nowhere. Is this like a trick question? Like I'm not going to be yelled at or scolded if I honestly answer with a yes?"

I chuckle, "no, I'm not going to scold you for saying yes."

"Okay, so yes. Iz, are you asking me to sleep with you?"

"No, I am definitely not. I was just asking if you would. I'm going to sleep, night Mari."

He laughs, "you are so weird, night Iz."

I give Stell a bored monotone expression, "mad cuz I couldn't get any what? Mad cuz who wouldn't want to sleep with who? Stell, why is it that I say no for the first time and you throw a fit?"

"You would never understand I-"

I wouldn't understand? That made me snap, "Get out! Leave me alone! You only ever come to me if you need something!"

"Fine, I'll never need you again!"

I scoff, "yeah right."

"Hey!" Dad comes into my room.

Watch her play the role.

"What's going on?"

"I'm asking her to leave me alone. She's distracting me, Dad, I have a presentation tomorrow, and she won't leave my room!"

"Stella, why are you bothering her?"

Her eyes widen, her usually strong, proud stance weakens. Her thumb pulls on the bottom corner of her lip.

This girl is turning 17 everyone! "But daddy, Izzy is never around, and I never get to see her or talk to her. She's only ever with Amarion-"

"Izzy family is everything-"

"Dad! When is Stella home? When is she not with her friends? I run in the mornings. When I come to eat breakfast, she's already gone. Our schedules at school are very different. I usually have practice after school, then I either train my clients or have a private with Lamar before Mari drives me home! When I do come home to eat, dinner she's not home! When we are together, she's the first to leave! How is this my fault?"