Freedom

Freedom

"You wicked girl! How did I hear from Nolan that you've had a boyfriend for over a year!"

"I swear I told you. If not, I'm surprised Cy hasn't said a word to you."

"I never want to hear his name again!"

I scratch the back of my head, readjusting my phone to my ear, "Liyah, did you confess?"

She laughs, "oh, I'll never do that. He's leaving in the new year."

I roll my eyes, "yes, because being away from him for six months is a big deal. Did you tell him you got early acceptance to that school in New York?"

"Nope. It was supposed to be a surprise, Izzy-"

"Hi, hello. Who are you, and why are you keeping my girlfriend away from me."

I'm supposed to be training Mari, and I kind of got distracted when Aaliyah called.

I know her, and she's about to say something like I was her girlfriend first.

I roll my eyes, "Mari, you are talking to Aaliyah right now."

His mouth forms an O shape.

He gives me my phone back, and I can hear the girl going off.

"It's me shut up," I say.

"I don't like him. I don't trust him. Break up with him. He's suspicious-"

"Aaliyah, I'm not going to do that."

"I am doing my job and being your best friend looking out for you. Why does he care who you're talking to? Do you ever question him?"

"Aaliyah, we can talk later. Right now, I really need to finish this session alright?"

That call ends.

I walk over to the treadmill. "I can last about 15 seconds at 24.1 kilometres per hour at a time. You up for it? The last time you tried, you lasted seven and almost went flying into the padded wall."

I turn on the machine. Crank up the level to ten. Mari steps up on the sides, timing himself before he goes for it. I speak up.

"Put the clip-on. I'm not trying to treat treadmill burns today."

I nod and puts it on before going for it.

I start my stopwatch.

"Arms up! Arms up! Get your feet higher off the surface-" and he falls.

I stand before him, "do you think this is helping you?"

He shakes his head no.

I nod. Maybe my training isn't going to work for him even though we practically do the same events.

"Come on, we are gonna have a chat."

He follows me to Lamar's office/security room.

Lamar isn't in today.

We take a seat. I grab my notebook and a pen. I keep all of my client's information and progression in this book.

"Height, weight, goal?" I ask.

"I'm currently 6 foot 4. I weigh 206 pounds. And I don't have a body goal."

"Estimated calorie intake?"

"Iz, that varies every day."

"Okay, Ummm, how about you tell me what your regular order of McDonald's is, and I'd go from there."

He stays silent, "what's wrong?" I ask.

"You are going to lose your mind."

I smile, "I doubt it's that bad-"