Moving

Moving

Dinner has now become a thing where everyone eats together on the weekends.

I graduated last week.

Afi's Dad was the one who bought me a condo.

I have yet to tell my parents.

Dinner is always silent and awkward.

"So, if I say something, will everyone promise not to yell and scold me before I'm done?" I speak up.

I have everyone's attention.

I take a breath, "I'm moving out-"

"No, you aren't." Mother says.

"Seriously, didn't I just-"

"You didn't say I couldn't cut you off. Isabella, you are not moving out. You can barely feed yourself."

"And I never will unless you let me live my life. I already have a place-"

"You went behind our back-" I cut my father off. I shake my head, "Mr. Mensah has been generous enough to buy me a condo as my graduation gift. I feel like it would be rude to decline it. It's in that new building two blocks from Lamar's. I won't be far."

"We'll talk about it-"

Huh? "Talk about what? How is any of that up for discussion-"

She's losing her temper.

I've gained a bit of confidence over this year, "you touch me. I call the police."

I'm already on my feet when this woman lunges in my direction. She doesn't get to me.

I turn to Stella, "and you wonder why I was so upset last year. Would she ever do that to you? I think not."

"Izzy, you kinda egged her on there." She sits there minding her business.

"And that's why I think it's best if I leave. There's so much tension. Dad, you and Lamar still train me. Stella, I know we haven't been on the best of terms, but if you and Chelsea wish to still join me in London this summer, I'll be fine with it." With that, I enter my room. Dad barely trains me now. I hope he'll come back.

I take some time for myself, and I stretch.

Maintaining my flexibility is one of the most important things to me.

An hour later, there's a knock on my door.

"Come in," I say.

I freeze up.

I may be confident with her in front of other people. But alone is a different story. She never knocks.

She locks my door. That makes my anxiety spike.

I don't say a word.

I stand and back away from the women. There isn't really anywhere to go. Yet I know she's going to hit me.

As she gets closer to me my phone rings.

We both run for it.

She smacks it out of my hands and elbows me in the stomach.

It was Mari. But the thing this woman didn't realize is that I accepted the call.

"Disrespect in my home again, I dare you." She snarls, kicking me in the gut.

I groan and drop to the ground clutching my stomach, "when I press charges, I hope you rot in jail." I groan.

She swings her foot. I catch it.