Day One

It had been hard to fall asleep last night, I wasn't sure if it was the silence of the room or the racing of my thoughts. Kanan left me here to continue the legacy of the jedi, meaning he didn't think he was going to make it back. I've had just over a year of training, no where near ready for this kind of responsibility, and with that I don't even have my saber. I sighed, rolled out of bed and headed to the mess to get something to eat. 

I walked in and grabbed a plate of food, eating slowly because I had nothing else to do today. Rex sat down next to me, I didn't even acknowledge him.

"Want to go out on a patrol with me in a hour?"

"Sure," I shrugged my shoulders, I guess anything was better than sitting around all day.

After I finished, I walked back to my room and took a quick shower before meeting Rex back out in the hanger.

"Here, you might want this, just in case," the clone winked with the last part as he tossed my lightsaber. I had a feeling this was going to be more than just a patrol.

We set out for the hills, checking the probes we had set months ago to monitor for any activity on the planet. Giet, similar to my home world of Lothal, it was mostly grassy plains although there were a few mountain ranges. Karmin base sat at the bottom of one, with a system of caves and tunnels to keep us hidden. 

"Kid, this way," Rex gestured.

We rounded a corner and there was set up a small field, almost like a training course. 

"I thought maybe you and Sabine would need something to keep your skills up. My old general used to set up something similar for Commander Tano."

"Thank you Rex, really."

The old clone just smiled and nodded before going back to Karmin. I stayed out for hours setting myself up targets avoiding certain posts. It wasn't much but with the supplies that we have to spare this is more than extraordinary. It was mostly some empty crates, a few posts vertical to the ground and a few short stumps connected by planks. Only once it started to get dark did I go back to Karmin. 

xxx

I spent most of my day in my room, leaving to eat and to sit outside on a ledge looking over the plains. Ezra had been gone all day and I just needed some time to myself. I had just gotten up when I saw Ezra coming out of the field. He looked relaxed, almost happy, how could he when our family left us here. 

"Sabine, you will have no idea what I've been doing."

"Forgetting about reality apparently, don't you realize that? There's more important things at stake here and we can't do anything about it," I yelled and his smile disappeared. 

"I'm sorry Sabine, but..." I cut him off by walking away. I went back to my room where I spent the rest of the night. 

When I laid down to finally go to sleep that's when the nightmares started.

"Sabine help us!"

"Sabine!"

"Sabine where are you?"

I woke up in a cold sweat. I grabbed the clock, 5:30, I guess there's no point in going back to sleep. I threw on some clothes and opened my door. It was so quiet. On the ghost there was always noise, the steady hum of the engine, a chirp from Chopper, sliding of a door. Here, there was only the rustling of the grass.

I sat outside and watched as the sun swept over the planet. I took my sketch pad out with a pencil and began to draw the gietacats that were playing in front of me. 

I was out there for while before there was a tap on my shoulder, I looked up. It was Ezra.

"I brought you some caff."

"Thanks," I took the cup from him and took a sip, "I'm sorry for yelling at you yesterday."

"It's alright, we're going through a lot." We both looked out on the landscape and took another sip from our cups. 

"How long do you think they're going to be gone?"

"I have no idea," the boy shrugged.