joymie64

How did you discover Wattpad?

I was interested in a movie and it was advertised as based on a published book developed in Wattpad. Mind you, I’m from Canada where Wattpad originated and I had no idea it existed until the later part of last year. I don’t usually read any book on line as an avid reader I’ve always had a certain joy reading from an actual book. Also, I always wanted to read any book first before watching the movie version of it.

How long have you had Wattpad, and how often do you use it?

I joined around September of last year and I try to read and write as much as I can to the point that I hardly watch any of my K-dramas and Telenovelas…oh the horror! :)

Is there a meaning behind your username?

Yes, I did mention on my profile, “Before there were Bennifer and Brangelina there was joymie.” So it’s a ship name for me and my then boyfriend (now husband). The “64” is an anniversary date. Yes, I was once young. LOL.

Why did you start writing? What age did you discover your love for it?

My love affair with writing started later in life. I had always been an avid reader since high school. Mostly, I was compelled to write books, movies or drama reviews. More so for my own satisfaction, in fact when I was going through my old tab and memory cards, I've discovered a slew of unfinished reviews. But some I had the chance to post on social media previously.

Who are you favourite authors? What are your favourite books? (Books on Wattpad count too!) What is your favourite genre?

My very first favorite author would have to be Carolyn Keene (a pseudonym) of the famed Nancy Drew series. It was the first series of book I devoured when I was in high school. Then my best friend introduced me to Stephen King. And there was a spark there, I was head over heels in-love. I would often finish reading his books in record time – a few days. I remembered reading “It” and that was a huge book, I finished it in matter of days. In college, during the first few days when I had not struck any friendships yet, I would often go to the library and I stumbled upon Agatha Christie’s “The Clocks”. That was a great experience as it challenged my mind. Needless to say, I was hooked with her works as well.

Over the years, there were a few that also grabbed my attention. I also collect works of JK Rowling (my fave is Harry Potter series), Eion Colfer (my fave is Artemis Fowl series) and Edgar Allan Poe. I have enjoyed their wits and stories. I also love comedies from William Shakespeare and a very personal favorite as well is “The Little Women” by Louisa May Alcott.

Eversince, I have absolutely loved mystery, suspense and thriller. And have avoided heavily romantic novels. At my age (old by Wattpad years, heh) I still enjoy reading teen fiction and romcom.

Do you want a career in writing?

Hhmmm, not sure yet. So far I am tremendously enjoying writing full stories. It’s a different experience than writing reviews, for sure. I like it when I have control of my time and not tied up with any deadlines.

Who supports you the most in your writing?

When I had an epiphany and told my husband that I have decided to write stories, he was very encouraging. Even my three kids were tremendously supportive. As well as my cousin, when I told her, she was very excited and helpful.

________________

Choose one of your books:

What is your book called? What genre is it? What is it about (2/3 lines)?

My first full story on Wattpad is (Un)Match Made in Heaven. It’s rom-com/chicklit. A story about Kaylie and James as they were unwittingly being entangled into a pseudo-relationship pushed by their intervening mothers. Of course, there’s underlying reasons why they had such an agreement. Behind hijinks and arguments, they discovered love, naturally.

What inspired you to write it?

The story about this had been nibbling on my brain for so many years. In high school I read a story by Helen Meriz (a best-selling Filipino pocket books author at the time) about a man who made an agreement to enter into a fake relationship with a woman who agreed due to financial constraint. I fell in-love with the story and had imagined myself as the female character. Ah to be young again. So inspired by it, I wanted to write something more grounded in reality.

How often do you update? When was it last updated?

Honestly, I wanted to update at least once a week. But as always, real-life often get in the way of my writing. The most current chapter was updated two weeks ago, how sad. :(

How long are your chapters? Do you think short or long chapters are better?

My chapters are long compared to usual chapter length of each stories on Wattpad. I had been told so. Haha. It’s hard to say which one is better. I’m not particular about the length, as a reader I’m more enamored with the writing and the main story. But I do understand some readers would rather prefer shorter chapters. I think as long as the story’s narrative flow made sense then length should not matter.

Are you proud of how well your book has done? Are you happy with the amount of reads it has?

So far it reached over 1K reads, only 10 chapters in, so I’m happy about it. I gained avid readers and maintained friendships as well. So no complains there.

Do you have any advice for new authors?

Write what you love and know or do a research unless it’s about a made-up world. Develop three-dimensional characters with dreams, strengths and weaknesses. That’s how your readers can empathize with your story. Read as much as you can as well, other writers can definitely inspire you with their stories.

Write for yourself, otherwise you would end up compromising your story and characters.

Furthermore, writing should be a continuous learning experience. Most importantly, have fun!

I liked the style of this author's writing. Her book was easy to get in to and the characters seemed very likable and realistic. The chapters are long and flow really nicely into each other. I recommend it to everyone as it is a great read!