Chapter 44

WARNING! WARNING!WARNING!
VIOLENT CONTENT AHEAD.

Chapter 44

Same day,
1:20 PM
Private Study, Garcia Estate
Seville, Spain

O L L I E

Honestly, knowing that Stefan may have kept the truth about my parent's death was a huge shock. I'm still shaken, but I promised myself to trust him. He has never lied to me, and this is not the right time to question my trust in him. I don't want to let my emotion overrule me and make a decision out of so much pain. We have been through so much. This is not the time to doubt him.

We will talk it out, whatever it is. Because trust is the foundation of any relationship. Without it, what's the use of being by his side? What's the use of being in a relationship not founded on trust?  I will make sure to confront him about this. Knowing Stefan, I know he has a good reason for this.

Now that my mind is clear, I was able to sit in the huge study of my Grandfather. He was fidgety, hesitant, and frantic as he stole glances at me behind his huge desk. I am sitting on the plush, red sofa with golden linings, enjoying the snacks Adrian gave me.

"Grandfather, we won't get anything done if you just keep on glancing at me." I smiled at him and gestured towards the vacant seat across mine.

He stared at the couch I was gesturing to and sighed in defeat. "Oliver, you're very straightforward. Just like your father." A very fond smile cracked his frantic expression.

It happened again. Every time he talks about Dad, he smiles lovingly, and his eyes sparkle, which got me even more curious.
"Grandfather, I had always known Dad as an orphan. Why? What happened?"

Sadness filled his brown pools. "I won't make any excuses. I was a bad father, Oliver. Izen was the sweetest and the most precious, yet I never gave him my time of the day. I was always busy with the organization," he admitted regrettably.

My brows furrowed. "Drakey has mentioned it also in passing. What do you mean by the organization?"

He blinked slowly and let out a hollow chuckle. "What did you think I did, Oliver? Can I amass such wealth through legal means?" He asked seriously, and it clicked when he told me that he was a former drug overlord.

"No. You delved into criminal activities, Grandfather? That is no environment to raise a child!" I expressed in horror and his eyes became empty.

"I realized that when Izen ran away. He must have wanted to forget everything, to the point where he changed his entire self. He cut his ties with me. Who wouldn't? I didn't give him a penny and I gave him a hard time. I thought that if I make him suffer enough, he will come back to me and realize that his decision to run away was wrong. However, he made it big, Oliver. Your father is an intelligent and wise man. I had never doubted his capabilities," he said with a sentimental gaze and inhaled deeply. "I will accept your hatred because I am aware that those are just excuses. Those are the things I am not proud of, Oliver. Every waking moment, guilt continued to gnaw my insides because I only brought Izen pain."

I'm not sure what to say, so I remained quiet. Knowing that Dad experienced a hard time because of Grandfather's selfishness is a bit hard to accept. Still, I let my grandfather have the stage and say all the things he has been meaning to say.

"Pietro was introduced to me by one of the organization's branch families. He's ruthless, and the malice in his eyes... the danger in those dark orbs was enough proof to tell me that he's no ordinary criminal." I flinched when he mentioned Pietro. The monster who killed my parents.