020. - echo and narcissus

𝔪𝔢𝔱𝔞𝔪𝔬𝔯𝔭𝔥𝔬𝔰𝔦𝔰
vingt. — mythology!

( remini is literally magic now )

The following months passed by in a blur of colours for Persephone. After the winter solstice the castle continued its joyous celebrations as the muggle holiday Christmas approached a few days later. It was Christmas Eve that Tom had disappeared completely and he would not return to Persephone's sight until Christmas Day had passed. She had learnt not long before that Tom's birthday was on said day and that he did not like to acknowledge it — commonly disappearing for the day.

Unsure and unwilling to overstep her boundaries Persephone left her humble gift for him on the common room coffee table, wrapped in emerald fabric and topped with a black bow.

A plain black diary with his name scrawled in gold across the bottom.

Though the two never spoke of her gift nor his of his distain for his birthday she was pleased to find that he could be found often scribbling down frantic writings in the diary — or even just sketching in it at times.

When her friends returned from the break, Persephone found that some of them were in slightly somber moods. It was to be expected of course. Walburga had once mentioned to her (after having several glasses of fire whiskey) that though her parents loved her and her siblings, they did not know how to show it and it was a trait long passed on in the Black family. So every year when the entire Black family gathered for solstice it was uncomfortable to say the least. A room full of emotionally unavailable people and their resentful children who would one day grow up to be just as cold and detached as their parents, continuing the cycle.

Druella who usually spent her solstices in small intimate gatherings at the Rosier manor, found herself at the unfortunate Black family solstice banquet. An eerie look into her future as the older generations cooed over what a lovely couple she and Cygnus made — prying about when the wedding would take place, and how soon they could expect beautiful heirs from the young girl.

By the time spring had sprung everybody seemed to have bounced back to their usual selves. The smell of blossoming flowers in the air and the stress of their upcoming OWL's enough to snap them out of their melancholy.

Persephone found another season that she disliked. Whilst she loved the blooming of flowers and new life, and the way that trees no longer looked like haunting, looming figures ready to snatch her away into the forest, she did not like the uncertainty of it all. British weather was usually unpredictable, but in Spring it was even more so. In the months after the winter solstice she found that it could be raining for a week straight — flooding the lake — only to be sunny days later the bright glare of the sun blinding but not warming as students shivered from the chill in the air.