001. - las meninas

𝔪𝔢𝔱𝔞𝔪𝔬𝔯𝔭𝔥𝔬𝔰𝔦𝔰
un. — a whole new world!

Bleary eyes struggled to open for what felt like the first time

Bleary eyes struggled to open for what felt like the first time. Everything was spinning out of control and green irises could only make out blurred images of their surroundings. Groaning the girl blinked very slowly as she examined her hands in front of her, in one hand was a long stick — no —wand. It was a wand, she wasn't sure how she knew that but she did.

Standing with shaking knees she glanced around warily, the room was dark and despite the fire that was spitting haunting green flames it had a certain chill to it. Bookcases towered on either side of the room seemingly, caving her in the room adding to the suffocating feeling and she noticed a canvas sat a few feet away from her, covered in a black cloth. Not bothering to dwell on her surroundings any longer she ran towards the door and ripped it open. Stumbling into the stone hallway she gaped as the door she had just come from disappeared before her eyes. Standing clumsily she laid her small hands on the wall in amazement, almost expecting the door to reappear.

Her wide green eyes frantically searched for something — someone familiar as she ran through the halls, long white dress swirling around her bare feet casually. Not entirely certain where she was heading the girl let out a startled scream when she ran headfirst into someone, knocking her to the floor. Scrambling backwards she looked up at the auburn haired man in strange plum coloured clothing with wide, frightened eyes. The man smiled kindly as he offered his slightly wrinkled hand out to her, "I'm so sorry my dear, are you alright?"

"I—," she tried to speak, grasping her throat at the strange feeling of it, "I'm not sure."

His twinkling blue eyes bore into her own and she felt for a moment that he was looking right through her. Into her soul. Wincing she grabbed her rapidly bruising arm and stared at in in wonder, her porcelain skin was tinged with a plethora of purple and blue's, "Oh dear," the man offered her his arm, "How about we get you to the hospital wing? We'll sort this all out."

"Okay." Her voice was quiet and timid, she tried to make herself as small as possible, tucked into his side. Her brain seemed to be working a million miles a minute and yet no coherent thoughts appeared.

The walk to this hospital wing was a short one, and she immediately had a middle aged pretty dark haired woman fussing over her as she pulled her to a bed. She watched the woman and the man she had run into with wide and curious eyes — observing the room she found that all the other beds were empty. Turning back to the two she had potions being shoved into her hands and a blanket being wrapped around her shoulders.

Drinking the bitter liquid she waved goodbye to the kind matron as she departed into what she could only assume to be her office. The auburn haired man pulled up a chair beside her bed, and she replicated his smile, "I do believe I have been quite rude not introducing myself, my name is Albus Dumbledore," he held out a hand for her to shake the girl staring at his outstretched hand for a moment before shaking it softly, "Am I right to assume you don't know where you are?"

"I-I," talking she summarised was quite difficult, and she didn't particularly like it — her throat scratched and the horrid tasting potion had not helped in that regard, "I don't know where I am... or who I am."

He did not look surprised, but gestured for her to elaborate.

"I can't remember a single moment of my life, I know that I'm speaking English but I don't know where I learnt it — I know that this is a wand, but I can't tell you where I got it," she frowned in frustration, "it's like I'm just nothing."

"Nobody is nothing." He placed a comforting hand on her unbruised arm, "I'm sure we will find out exactly what happened to you. In the mean time however, I'm afraid we're going to have to put on a small ruse."

"A ruse?"

"Unfortunately there is much unease in the air at the moment, what with the war going on. Headmaster Dippet and the Ministry are on edge at the moment, they may not believe your story," he stared at her for a long moment before seemingly making up his mind, "but it's no bother, we can say you're my niece — transferring from Beauxbatons after an accident left you with memory loss."

She giggled a little as the man seemed to pat himself on the back at his own cleverness and helped himself to a sweet lying on the table, "What about my name?" She tried desperately to remember it, but no matter how deep she dug she couldn't find anything, "I can't even remember that."

"Hm, yes you will be needing a name," fingers clasped under his chin he pondered, "what about Morgan — or Morgana — after the sorceress Morgan le Fay."

She shook her head, "I don't think so."

"Alice?"

No.

"Demetria?"

God no.

"Florence?"

No.

"Elisa?"

Pretty, but it still didn't feel right.

"Persephone?"

Her green eyes widened with excitement and she tested the name on her tongue, "Per-sef-uh-nee," she giggled, "I like it, what does it mean?"

"Bringer of destruction."

"Oh," her lips twisted down for a moment as she considered it, "fun."

"In muggle Greek myths she was the queen of the underworld and goddess of spring growth," he tried to lighten the mood, "how those muggles keep coming up with such interesting stories I will never know."

She nodded tiredly, picking at the thread on her blanket — so unfocused that she missed his suspicions look that was quickly replaced by a friendly one, "I'll leave you to sleep now, while I make all the necessary arrangements for you."

He turned to leave, only for a small voice to call out, "Thank you, for helping me," she laid further under the covers, "you didn't have to do all of this."

"That's alright, dear." He just hoped he wouldn't live to regret these decisions.

Once she was alone the green eyed girl allowed a lone tear to trickle down her cheek, fingers swiping it away with her eyes closed as she whispered quietly to herself, "Goodnight, Persephone."

AUTHORS NOTE!
First chapter, this kinda had a different vibe than I was originally going for but I think it works okay idk?? I honestly hate Dumbledore so much you don't understand how hard it was to write this from like a subjective pov — I just wanted to be like 'he sucks' but no it's fine.

Anyways I really hope you guys enjoyed this!! More to come soon.

Stay safe! Remember to vote, comment and or share please lovelies!

Unedited
-summer

Unedited -summer