007. - whispers of samhain

( just what i was
listening to while writing )

𝔪𝔢𝔱𝔞𝔪𝔬𝔯𝔭𝔥𝔬𝔰𝔦𝔰
sept. — slug club!

Slug Club, turned out to be an exclusive group created by Professor Slughorn on the basis of recruiting the best minds and most promising students into his circle

Slug Club, turned out to be an exclusive group created by Professor Slughorn on the basis of recruiting the best minds and most promising students into his circle. This specific meeting of the minds took the form of a Samhain celebration, Dumbledore had got his wish and now the great hall where the Samhain ball and festivities took place would in place host the first ever Hogwarts Halloween feast.

So Slughorn would be hosting his own Samhain in his spacious office that year. The subject was of great intrigue to Persephone and she found herself reading every book she could find in the library on it. In addition to being a time to honour family members, friends and pets who have passed away, Samhain was the final harvest holiday and marks the end—and therefore beginning—of a new cycle on the Wheel.

During Samhain it was believed that faeries or spirits could more easily enter the realm of the living, and although the halls of Hogwarts were no strangers to ghosts many of the spirits were actually thought to be remnants of nature spirits and pagan gods. To begin the festivities they would light a bonfire as the fire was considered sacred and served to cleanse the old year and prepare for the new year. It was expected that ancestors might cross over during this time as well, and they would be required to dress as animals and monsters so that fairies were not tempted to kidnap them. Slughorn had requested his students wore formal wear for his event along with a mask and some sort of animal or monster features as tradition.

At that moment Persephone was leaned against a bookshelf in the library utterly consumed in the book about Samhain she was holding when she heard someone clear their throat she jumped in shock and stared at the boy before her in confusion. He was handsome with untamable looking black hair and rounded spectacles, his Gryffindor robes glinting under the lights as he smiled at her in what she assumed he thought was a charming way, "Persephone right?" He gave her no time to answer, "Fleamont Potter, I was wondering if you'd be honoured to attend Slug Club with me?"

With wide eyes Persephone glanced to Druella, Costia and Walburga were sat at a table nearby mouthing a small 'help me'. All three shook their heads barely keeping in their laughter as Persephone grew more flushed and worried, "I'm sorry, who are you?" She knew he had given her his name, but beyond that she knew nothing about him.

Druella and Costia practically fell out of theirs seats from laughter, Walburga quietly snickering as a strong arm wrapped around her shoulder. Tucked safely into Abraxas' side she breathed a sigh of relief, "Potter."

"Malfoy." The black haired boy considered continuing his perusal for a moment longer before thinking better of it and scuttling off to wherever he had appeared from.