eight

amity p.o.v

as soon as i open my eyes to wake up they became super sensitive to the light. i felt horrible, my head was pounding too. i sit up and instantly feel nauseous, i think this is what a hangover is.

i look around once my eyes adjust to the lighting, and i'm not in a room i'm familiar with. i look over at the desk next to me and see a photo of two ladies with Luz framed neatly to the side. i'm guessing this is Luz's room. i take a closer look at the picture, the lady i met from the store was in it! there was also this other lady, she looked similar to Luz in the way they had the same skin tone and hair color. that must be her mom.

i stand up and have a hard time keeping balance, my head was pounding. i walk out of the room and look down the hallway i entered. i start walking down to try and find a bathroom. i come across two doors side by side one said 'Women's' with a piece of paper with 'and King' stuck under it with tape. on the other one it said 'Men's' but then under it was also a piece of paper taped under it. it said 'only Hooty' which made me worry to even go in there. i chose the one that mentioned women and see a pretty clean bathroom.

i use the bathroom, wash my hands, and look at myself in the mirror. i look like a mess, my hair practically everywhere and my ponytail almost out. i brush my fingers through my hair and put the ponytail back. i give myself a good few little pats on the face to wake up and then walk out. i go down the hallway the way that i came from but walk past Luz's room. i walk down these stairs and start hearing yelling.

i run to the way i heard the yelling and saw Luz on the floor getting hit by that lady from the store. she was hitting her with a newspaper and said something about us doing what now? King yells at them to stop and points at me, everyone had their eyes on me.

"um hi?" i say lifting my hand and giving a slight wave.

"Amity!" Luz jumps up and jogs over to me, "How are you feeling? are you alright?"

"yeah i'm alright, just a bit of a headache." i say as i shift looking at her and the family in the background. Luz catches on and looks behind her, mouthing an 'oh'.

"Amity, i want you to meet one of my mothers. Eda this is Amity, the girl i met at the coffee shop." Luz commented bringing me over to her.

"kid, i've met her before." the woman named Eda spoke, looking at me up and down.

"wait! you have?!" Luz shouts switching her head back and forth between me and Eda. i just nod my head.

"we met at the store on accident yesterday, we bumped into each other." Eda states in such a matter of fact way. Luz looked dumbfounded and ended up sighing saying it's such a small world.

"are you hungry Amity?" Luz asked me, i nod my head yes. "alright! you can go sit down with the boys and Eda, and i'll make you some breakfast." she smiles pointing over to Hooty and King. i say alright and take a seat at the table. Eda gave Luz one last whack on the head before coming to take a seat with me and both boys.

Luz starts to cook, i practically watch her intently since the awkwardness in the room could be cut with a knife. i couldn't tell if it was because of me or because of the incident i walked in on. i focus on the Noceda's bed head as she cooks away, just watching her as she whisks eggs and pours them in the pan with hash browns she was already cooking.

the room smelt of breakfast and it made me so hungry. i couldn't wait to finally eat. i haven't ate since dinner last night and that felt like forever ago. i heard Luz turn off the burners and get out plates, my stomach was practically growling from wanting to eat so badly. Luz brought over my plate in front of me. she asked everyone else if they wanted some, only King saying yes. she asked me if i wanted anything to drink and i just said water.

Hooty got up and said that he was going to go work on his garden, he walked out of the door through the kitchen to outside. he grabbed a men's sun hat from the coat rack near the door and said goodbye. Eda agreed that she had to leave too and went upstairs to change. once Luz sat down with her plate of food and starts to eat then i take my first bite. you never know if they pray before they eat or anything, so it's best to wait until everyone gets their food to see.

the food was delicious, it was hash browns mixed with eggs. the eggs practically attached to the hash browns since they cooked together, i put ketchup on mine which just made it absolutely perfect. i practically scarfed mine down, but i tried to make it seem like i was just normally a fast eater.

"you like the food?" Luz asked me, propping her shoulders on the table and putting her head in her hands.

"yes it's absolutely perfect, thank you so much." i thank her taking another bite.

"i'll have to cook for you more often then." she gave me a smile and for some reason it just made me feel like i had been struck in the chest. it must have been from eating too fast. i start to slow down my eating and once finished, Luz grabbed all of our plates and brought them to the sink.

Eda came downstairs and asked King if he was ready to go. He said yes and got up from his chair. as he went over to the doorway i saw him mouth something to Luz and her face turn bright red.

i wonder what it was.