𝕮𝖍𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖊𝖗 𝕿𝖜𝖊𝖓𝖙𝖞-𝕿𝖍𝖗𝖊𝖊: 𝗕𝗶𝗴 𝗕𝗿𝗼𝘁𝗵𝗲𝗿, 𝗜'𝗹𝗹 𝗧𝗮𝗸𝗲 𝗖𝗮𝗿𝗲 𝗢𝗳 𝗬𝗼𝘂

Chapter Twenty-Three-- -------- --Big Brother, I'll Take Care Of You

-- -------- --
Big Brother, I'll Take Care Of You

March 8th, 2010
The blaring illumination of the sun reminds me that I probably should've closed Alaric's living room blinds before collapsing on his sofa. It would be an early morning to reach Duke just before official opening time, Vanessa Monroe would be waiting for us with a box full of Isobel Flemming's documents about lycanthropes. Groggily rising up from my temporary bed I knock over a bottle of expensive brandy from last night, my nightmares had been another shit-show, a bottle of alcohol usually smoothed that down. Let's just say Ric was less than impressed at my drinking skills, practically downing the bottle to cover over the pain that rested underneath.
  "You're alive, it's nice to see." Alaric comments, casually walking into his kitchen to get the coffee going whilst I came too, awakening from my disastrous night of drinking.
  "Damon mentioned to me the whole werewolf thing. Why did you do it? Why lock it away?" Alaric investigated, this had been plaguing his thoughts before he wandered off to bed, affirming me that he'd question it in the morning.
  "Hybrids are a freak of nature. They're looked down upon by both of our species'. My biological father would've been one as well, there's no history of werewolves or witches in the Salvatore lineage." I simplified, standing to meet him at the kitchen counter as he poured himself an overambitious cup of coffee.
  "Have you brought that up with them? The whole half-sister thing we were talking about." Ric replied, taking a sip of coffee before moving to pick up my discarded brandy bottle, wanting to keep the place at his (very low) level of clean.
  "No. I think they've come around to the question and answers on their own. Damon more so than Stefan. It never mattered a hundred-and-fifty years ago, why should it matter now?" I imply, urging him to stop with all of the queries I'd rather shy away from, like my mother's affair with a man I would never come to know. He finishes his cup of coffee in minimal silence, asking me a few questions about witchcraft instead before he places the cup in the sink, swinging the car keys around his finger as we both set off.

Vanessa had been kind enough to lug the boxes into the car, still taking an obvious interest in Alaric as I remained impatiently in the car, the sooner we got home, the sooner I could sleep in a real bed. Although this was mainly my fault, refusing to give over any more information about werewolves to Damon, it had resulted in me being momentarily kicked out of the Boarding House to room with Ric until I found us more information. How charming. Rolling down the passenger window to get a better view of the chattering buffoons outside, I take this as my chance to cause mischief.
  "Hi, I hate to intrude, but if you don't get your ass in the car, I will hotwire it and drive off without you." I yelled out, immediately gaining the attention of both Vanessa, Ric and some other passersby on campus which made me inwardly chuckle.
  "Thanks for making things awkward." Alaric's sarcastic tone made me laugh out audibly this time, forcing him to start our journey home before I caused more trouble. I open the door for Alaric who carries the huge box inside, noticing the youngest Gilbert stationed in our living room as Alaric kicks the door shut behind him.
  "Marie! Ric!" Damon announces at our arrival back at the house, now catching Jenermy's attention as we all get acquainted.
  "What are you doing here?" Alaric sternly questions the youngest Gilbert, shoving the hefty box down onto the table beside Damon.
  "Helping Damon. I'm the one who found out about the moonstone." Jeremy defends to which Damon's response was to simply roll his eyes at us.
  "Does Elena know you're here?" I inquire, progressing forward. To which his reply was short and uncared for. Damon steps over towards Alaric, myself and the box. They round up together as they chat about Aztec curses, shamans, wolves and vampires. Deciding this conversation was no longer for me, I headed upstairs to where Caroline had been staying. We had both decided that if Katherine wanted to have me as a trophy wife and would kill everyone in her path to kidnap me, jetting off to a faraway land; then it would be best to stay out of her way. Caroline made her feelings known that she still had feelings for Donovan, remarking that somewhere deep down, I had feelings for Katherine too. It wasn't the case, however, I kept my mouth shut, letting her move some belongings into one of the spare bedrooms in the house. We had returned to our status as good friends, helping one another through this common rough patch. And I was content with that, to keep her in my life didn't mean to be with her, it just meant seeing each other thrive, admittedly it did sting.