𝕮𝖍𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖊𝖗 𝕱𝖔𝖚𝖗: 𝗥𝗲𝗺𝗲𝗺𝗯𝗲𝗿𝗶𝗻𝗴 𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗬𝗲𝗮𝗿𝘀 𝗔𝘀 𝗧𝗵𝗲𝘆 𝗣𝗮𝘀𝘀 𝗠𝗲 𝗕𝘆

Chapter Four-- -------- --Remembering The Years As They Pass Me By

Chapter Four
-- -------- --
Remembering The Years As They Pass Me By

September 11th, 2009
Gleaming rays of sun stream through the close-to-transparent curtains which hung over freshly cleaned Boarding House windows. Opening my eyes the view of last night's botanical endeavours were scattered about the floor, crackling glass flung about the floor in most possible directions, another dead end to my search for my friends of the past - I seemed to be cursed to a damnation of failure. Promptly using my abilities to fling away the glass from the main walkway of my bedroom, my body swings itself out of bed, toes hitting the cold hardwood below as my arms search for strewn about clothing. A peacock teal dress adorned with white roses, thin black belt, tights and brown faux leather boots. Not my first style choice but enough for another day at Mystic Falls High.

Streaking concealer across my face in a futile attempt to liven up my ancient features was a genuine battle as I battled with the unruly curls of my hair. Some part of me deep down pushed me to make myself somewhat presentable to the new pool of friends Stefan was attempting to sell me to. But also to my new (possible) friend in Elena. Although she closely resembled another friend of my many lifetimes, returning to Mystic Falls after all this time seemed to be looking up although knowing this town, it's history, this winning streak could turn sour in a matter of moments. I pass my nephew on my way downstairs, throwing him a 'good morning' before making my way for the kitchen where my bags resided.

-- -------- --

Pulling up in the school parking lot the swarms of kids floating about both inside and out of the school made me feel uneasy. It was odd for me to be back in Mystic Falls especially with schooling. Back when I was a child you had a governess who taught me how to sew, keep-house and cater to the needs of my residence. Never in a million years would I have dreamt of a world like this. I spot Victoria Donovan sauntering by in an altogether manner, meaning at the least she wasn't dead from last night's brawl with Damon. Clambering out of the truck, my shoes hit the ground with a rocky thud, allowing me to move forwards (my bag in toe) to slam the door. Brushing down my dress I make rapid headway for the school, not wanting to be late until I spotted two familiar figures maundering towards the doors of the school. I made my tactical approach, weaving in-between sweaty teenagers and chattering teachers who blocked my bee-line for my new friend.

  "Morning, Elena. Morning, Bonnie." I greet, approaching from the right as they were in mid-conversation. Hazel eyes' gaze turns to looks up towards me then back to her friend hesitantly, her aura became skittish as she mumbled a quick-tongued apology, making an excuse to attempt to find Caroline.
  "She doesn't like me very much," I stated in mild defeat, another witch in town would be considerably more comforting. A town brimming with vampires activity was no fun alone but the excitement of being surrounded by your own kind was uplifting, witches being surrounded by other witches was a provocation for trouble.
  "She doesn't know you. She's my best friend. She's just looking out for me, but when she does, she will love you." Elena positively replied, uplifting my doubts about making some new friends here on my old home turf.
  "Here's what we're going to do, are you and your brother free tonight?" Elena asks as we continue to walk towards the school.
  "Yes," I answer, an obvious smile creeping onto my face, the remembrance of loneliness made me strive for a friendship with the unknown, for just an ounce of kinship for my battered old soul.
  "Perfect. You two, dinner, my house, eight o'clock. You, me, Stefan and Bonnie. We'll spend some quality time. And she'll get to see how great the both of you are. Mission accomplished." she says, turning her plan as she turns to stop me, waiting for my response of agreement.

At that moment, a suppressed urge ran through my veins, the antiquated desire, the unstoppable impulse pounded through the thin of my veins, spreading like a strategic disease. A chain reaction which surged for my once subdued abilities to emerge from its years spent drowning in powerful witchcraft that kept it tame in its cage. I hear the object hurtling towards me before I see it, the shadowy leather object stopping just before my eyes as my fingers grasped onto it tightly. I raise my eye line to be met with the face of a bemused Tyler Lockwood, the son of the mayor and a bewildered Matthew Donovan. I raised it with a nod, the newly appeared arms of my blonde brother send it packing straight back to the arms of its past possessor, causing him to grunt, off-guard at how powerful the return was, making Elena chuckle with disbelief. Separating from Elena and my recently appeared brother, I take a turn into the school to leave them to ponder the halls together. Not wanting to intrude on their newfound relationship.

-- -------- --

Mr Tanner's next subject seemed to be the timeline of World War II, a subject I was well versed in since one of my lifetimes occurred during this era. In my peripheral vision, I could see Matt trying to get word of Elena and Stefan's conversation.
  "December 7th 1941," I answer Mr Tanner's question that was once directed for Elena.
  "Thank you, Miss Gilbert." Tanner returned, making the students lowly chuckle at his tone.
  "Anytime," I assure, leaning backwards in my seat.
  "Very well, the fall of the Berlin Wall." Tanner shoots,
  "1989. I'm good with dates, sir." I score, my hands twiddling with growing confidence.
  "Are you? How good? Keep it to the year." He responds which I answer to with a short nod.
  "Civil Rights Act." he fires.
  "1964."
  "John F. Kennedy assassination." he fires again, but I'm too good for the likes of a young man like him.
  "1963."
  "Martin Luther King," Tanner urges,
  "'68."
  "Lincoln," he shoots again,
  "1865."
  "Roe v. Wade?" he demands once more, edging closer to the desk as he quizzes me.
  "1973."
  "Brown v. Board?" Tanner questions again, I admire his attempts to catch me out, but a Salvatore like me isn't stupid enough to get caught out.
  "1954."
  "The Battle of Gettysburg." he hurls again, missing all of his blows but still battling on, just in case he manages the big finale, the KO.
  "1863."
  "Korean War," he demands, now stood fully at my feet, leaning forwards over the table.
  "1950 to 1953." I return, straightening my back.
  "Ha! It ended in '52." he belittles before celebrating his victory, I was starting to think that this man was a prick.

  "Uh, actually, sir. It was '53." Stefan calls out, having my back through thick and thin, surprising me with the assist.
  "Somebody, look it up, quickly!" he calls out. All I could hear were those celebratory words '1953' alongside the applause which came from my fellow classmates.

-- -------- --

With the eye of a hawk, my eyes followed my brothers even more as he pushed up from the bleachers. He trailed his way down to Mr Tanner who also played coach on his hours off. Watching my very undead brother get the shit beaten out of him by a bunch of overcompensating, putrid-smelling, teenage boys was refreshing, but when he was actually hit I made my way down to the grounds, following him out after the team left.