𝕮𝖍𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖊𝖗 𝕾𝖎𝖝𝖙𝖊𝖊𝖓: 𝗪𝗵𝗲𝗻 𝗡𝗶𝗴𝗵𝘁𝗺𝗮𝗿𝗲𝘀 𝗙𝗹𝗮𝗺𝗲 𝗢𝘃𝗲𝗿

Chapter Sixteen-- -------- --When Nightmares Flame Over

Chapter Sixteen
-- -------- --
When Nightmares Flame Over

February 25th, 2010
Since Stefan's run-in with his conscience, we all had made up and attempted to carry on with our lives as imminent doom spread throughout Mystic Falls. Elena had met her vampire mother Isobel, (Alaric's Wife) Jeremy Gilbert had been threatened by said mother and her compelled minions, at the hand of those minions Matthew Donovan was almost crushed by a Founder's Day Parade float. Bonnie and I had also discovered the purpose of both the Gilbert compass and rings that confirmed that Jonothan's mad schemes and inventions truly did work. Elena managed to convince the poor witch to unspell the mysterious device given to Damon by Pearl who had been killed in her home alongside Harper. That device was also now in the hands of the aforementioned Isobel. Jeremy Gilbert knew about vampires the whole time, to which Elena confided in me that he 'hated' her. I couldn't've blamed him for resenting her after all the secrets. Betrayal from a sibling left a rotten taste in your mouth.

However, today was the Founder's Day Festival, an event I hadn't attended in years but was forced to by Caroline. Both Elena and Caroline had requested for help with the 'old-timey' dresses for the float. I had secretly lent Elena one of Katherine's old numbers that I'd found in the remains of my wardrobe. Caroline nevertheless was supplied with a handcrafted gown made by myself when I was a teenager, another one of my vast collection of yellowed or beige gowns, canary's were my favourite bird to paint and had become a regular inspiration for my clothing. Elena's dress was fairly similar, made of a mustard coloured fabric with a sage belt tied around her waist. I'd plucked out something from Stefan's old wardrobe for him to dress in, not wanting him to pick his own clothes for such a 'prestigious' event - Carol Lockwood's words, not mine.

Walking beside Damon we approach our brother, the two conversed over Elena as I look over at all the celebratory decorations, floats and dressed up people wearing our 'old fashioned' clothing. Corsets were a nightmare of the past, at least barring today.
  "I get it. I'm the better, hotter, superior choice and you're scared that now Katherine's out of the picture, I'm gonna turn all my attention onto Elena. But don't worry, Elena is not Kathrine." Damon says in mocking assurance, however in this very moment, she was the dead ringer for a girl she was supposed to be the opposite of. It sent a senseless shiver down my spine as she approached us, hands lifting up her trailing dress as she sauntered around searching for Stefan.
  "You're right she's not." Stefan confirms as Damon's attention is captured elsewhere.
  "Although she certainly looks like it." I commented under my breath, surely enough with their hearing abilities they heard the dig, but nobody defended it as she spotted the three of us staring at her.

Damon and I choose to separate from the united pair as I wander off to find Bonnie or Caroline. Searching through the mountains of fake soldiers, volunteers, school students and vintage dresses, I spot both girls in the distance accompanied by Matt Donovan who was posing with Caroline for Bonnie who held the camera.
  "Marielle, get in here." Caroline called as I passed Matt on his way to the float, she smiled bringing myself and Bonnie closer towards her. We make headway for the sidelines as the school band approaches, Caroline departs to go get onto her float as I head away from the crowds, separating from Bonnie as my mind searches for entertainment elsewhere. Heading towards the bar to stay away from the crowds of the parade, uninterested in the festivities of a town I wanted to so desperately leave behind.