THIRTY-THREE

Aaliyah ended her Monday attending an AA meeting per her parent's request

Aaliyah ended her Monday attending an AA meeting per her parent's request. She knew that she had overly abused alcohol this past summer as a distraction to get her mind off of being alone and being dumped by JJ. The only person who seemed to notice how much she was struggling was Darnell, who actually went to her house and talked to her parents about how much she was drinking. Who then forced her to go to a two-week inpatient treatment center with the agreement that she'd be attending weekly Al-anon meetings. So, she collected her thirty-day chip, feeling a sense of achievement, before walking out to the parking lot where a certain boy was leaning against her car.

"You actually came?" Aaliyah asked him, running up to Darnell and engulfing him in a hug. "As much as I wish I was here just to support you, I've got to tell you something, Li," Darnell sighed, letting out a deep breath. "After the game last night, uh, there were some military people that came to the house. It's my mom, Li. She's hurt...and I need to go to Germany to be with her," he told her.

"No," she whispered, softly pushing him away from her. "Is she okay? Why do you have to leave? You just played your first game last night. Dillon loves having you around...Sorry. No, I shouldn't have said all that. You should be with your mom. How are you feeling?" she sighed grabbing his hands. "Trying to be...optimistic, I guess. Ain't none of this easy," he said gripping onto her hands tightly.

"How long will you be gone?" she asked. "I don't know. Shit, I'm sorry for ruining your day. Let me see your chip?" he insisted removing his hand from her hold. "Don't be sorry. We should be worried about you not talking about me—"

"Please? Just help me get my mind off of everything. Let me see your chip," he pleaded. "It's no big deal," she hummed, handing over the bronze medallion that had 1-month of recovery engraved on it.

"This," Darnell said holding the medallion up. "Is a huge deal. I'm proud of you."

"I have to go home and check in with my parents to tell them how my meetings have been going and all of that. Do you wanna come with me? Or I can try to blow them off so we can talk?" she asked, tugging on the end of her jacket. "Nah. I promised Cam I'd meet up with him and I'm kind of late because I wanted to see you first. But, you'll see me before I gotta leave. Promise," he said, pressing a small kiss against her cheek and walking away.

✯✯✯

"Aaliyah! Come in here, join us!" Billy called out watching his daughter step foot into the house. "You don't live here," she said, furrowing her eyebrows in confusion. "Hah! Thanks for the pleasant reminder. Come on, we want to see your chip," Billy told her patting the stool in the kitchen.

"Oh, for sure," she hummed, patting her pockets down in search of it. "Uh-oh."

"What do you mean uh-oh? You went to your meeting, right?" Laura asked her. "Yeah, of course, I did. I think Darnell accidentally took it. He was there after my meeting to tell me something and I showed it to him. He must've taken it by accident. But, I promise I went," Aaliyah explained grabbing a slice of pizza from the box.