EIGHTEEN

"Hey. Your mom let me in," JJ announced walking into his girlfriend's room and plopping next to her on her bed. "Well, my mom clearly, doesn't know that I'm not speaking to you. So...leave, and close my door on your way out. Thanks," Aaliyah snarked not looking up from her phone.

"Baby...I miss you," JJ whined grabbing her phone from her hands and shoving it down his pants. "JJ! What the hell!" she yelled. Taking a deep breath, the girl gave him a soft smirk. "You know what? Keep it down there and the radiation will kill all your future babies."

"Our future babies, you mean!" he shouted pulling her phone out and placing it down on her nightstand. "Why aren't we speaking? I miss you. Your kisses, your hugs, and your pretty face."

"Flattery will get you nowhere," she scoffed pushing his face away. "I'm mad because you're acting like an idiot! That stupid fight that got you into at the cafe. Going to those college parties at night with Jordan, and you really sucked at the 7-on-7 game. You even skipped practices."

"I know. And I'm sorry, we've just been riding the high from the championships. My dad's actually had a talk with me after that stupid fight that I totally blamed all on your brother," he chuckled. "But, they told me to stop being so stupid. And I'm trying my best. So, I'm going to stop with the partying and focus on football and the girl I love."

"You weren't with any girls at those parties, right?" she mumbled looking up at him. "Of course, not. No matter how trashed I got the only girl I was thinking about was you," he responded tucking a strand of hair behind her ear.

"I'm not saying you have to stop partying and all of that but, maybe...just not all the time?" she suggested placing a hand on his face. "I love you," he whispered leaning in close to her face. "I love you, too, JJ," she giggled closing the small gap and kissing him. He gripped her hip tighter using his free hand to assist him in lifting her onto his lap so she could straddle him. "Mmm, my family's home," she sighed detaching her lips from his and placing her hands on his chest to stop him from leaning back in. "We can just make out for a couple of more minutes," he suggested brushing his thumb along her jawline. "Deal."

"Hey, honey, is J—Oh!" Laura shrieked walking into her daughter's room and catching the two making out. "We're not doing anything. I swear!" JJ yelled pushing the girl off of his lap and holding his hands up in the air. "She literally just caught us," Aaliyah scoffed hitting his side lightly and adjusting her shirt

Laura cleared her throat loudly catching their attention once again. "Is JJ staying for dinner?"

"No. I should go home," JJ replied grinning up at the woman. "Okay...and um, I'm not closing this," Laura said leaving the door open and walking out of the room.

"Come to the cafe tomorrow after school? Pretty sure Jordan and Ash are going to be there," JJ said turning his attention back to his girlfriend. "Ew. I hang out with my brother way too much. But, if you insist," she sighed giving him another kiss. "I'll see you later. Love you," he said pressing a sloppy kiss against her cheek and walking towards her door. "Say it back," he demanded, stopping in his tracks once he noticed she never said it back.

"I love you."

✯✯✯

"Dude, you never hit me back about that day party on Monday," Jordan said to JJ, while Aaliyah and Asher stood next to each other in the cafe exchanging annoyed glances. "Ooh, about that," JJ hesitated, turning around to look at his girlfriend who was standing awfully close to Asher. "Actually...forget it. I'm there."

"Not to be that guy again, but we'll still be at practice," Asher piped up looking at the two. "Okay, and I'll just call it early again," Jordan stated. "You sure calling practice again early is a good idea, Jordan?" Rochelle asked walking up to the pool table.

"Why is she everywhere?" Aaliyah whispered to Asher making him let out a loud laugh. "Okay, but is she wrong though? Your brother's been a huge distraction," he said listening to Rochelle lecture Jordan about his behavior.

"You know I can hear you," Jordan interrupted making the two turn their head towards him. Asher pushed himself off of the wall and walked towards Jordan. "Good. I'm glad you heard that because it's true. I figured, with your dad being back, you'd be more committed to the team. But, like, I just told your sister. You've become kind of a distraction, man."

"You're calling me a distraction after everything you put our team through last season, really?" Jordan shot back. "Hey, that's not fair," Aaliyah said stepping in. "No, he's right, and I have to live with those mistakes every damn day, but that was then, okay? Right now, I'm working like crazy to be the best teammate and leader that I can be. That's why I'm on the field every day after practice, grinding. Same way you and I used to get after it when we were freshmen. No one's gonna be able to question my dedication," Asher said.

"Can we go now?" Aaliyah asked, tugging on JJ's hand. "Yeah," he mumbled lacing their fingers together and walking out to the parking lot together. "Look, I know you and Asher had feelings for each other or whatever...But, I—"

"Woah! Think carefully about your next words because I swear if an ultimatum about mine and Asher's friendship comes out of your mouth. I don't know what I'll do," she scoffed letting go of his hand.

"No ultimatum's but when I see you two standing like this close," he hissed, copying the way the two were standing next to each other in the cafe. "I can't help but, feel some type of way. Especially knowing that Asher was your first."

"He told you about that?" she scoffed crossing her arms across her chest. "Look, disregarding the fact that Asher was my...first. We're past that. Asher and I are just friends. He's actually into Liv, as weird as that sounds. And I love you. Just you," she sighed wrapping her arms around his torso tightly and pressing a kiss against his shoulder.

"Okay," he sighed rubbing his hand up and down her back.

02x03