Forgetful

"B-But... Gonta telling truth... Gonta really not culprit." He said. Tears were rolling down his cheeks.

I wish I had a hat like Himiko so I could cover my face. I don't like this at all. I took a deep breath and looked up at everyone. "Alright, I'm sure Gonta isn't lying... but I don't think Kokichi's lying either." Kaito looked confused. "Wait, how could neither of them be lying? One has to be lying, and the other telling the truth."

"Remember what I said before?" Kokichi asked. "We need to corner them psychologically, and then they will reveal their lie!" His face suddenly dropped. "Which is why it's so hard to be prosecuting Gonta like this!" He buried his face in my chest and I felt my suit get wet. Was he... crying?

I lifted his chin and wiped away his tears. Puffy eyes, gritted teeth, red face... he was actually crying.

He moved back and looked at Gonta. "Gonta, if you understand, then do it right! Make logical arguments for the truth!" I looked at Gonta, who looked utterly confused. "Logical arguments?" "It means use your head, to make arguments!"

"Use... head?"

"If you're not the culprit, then you've gotta prove that you aren't!"

Kokichi sounded.... desperate. He really wanted Gonta to fight back, argue, string together clues, anything. "But... Gonta really not know."

Why doesn't Gonta know what to say? We were all in the virtual world. "I'm tired of hearing you say you don't know! God, why are you so dumb?!" I looked at Kokichi, who had tears forming in the corners of his eyes. He... really wanted Gonta to survive this.

"Gonta just wanna help everyone, like true gentleman!"

"You're a true gentleman? More like a true nincompoop!"

I covered my ears to muffle the noise. I can't think when my friends are arguing. I tried thinking back to the investigation, the time of the murder, before the murder, anything. Anything that can be used as a clue. I shut my eyes and tried to imagine what happened.

I heard through my hands a remark that made me realise something. "Gonta not know anything! Really!" My hands fell and I looked up. "Cut it out already! That's all you've been saying this whole time!"

What did Kokichi say? He has... He has been saying that this whole time. This whole time... Gonta didn't know... anything. He's been saying that since we logged out.

"Did Gonta get into an accident in the virtual world?" I asked, making everyone look at me. "What accident?" Kaito asked. I looked at Shuichi and we both nodded. "It was the glitch that Monotaro mentioned. We didn't know who it was. It happened when we all logged in."

"Ever since Gonta logged out, he's been saying 'I don't know' or 'I don't understand.'" Shuichi pointed out.

"That's because Gonta doesn't understand the virtual world, right?" Tsumugi asked. "I don't think so. He thought that the virtual world was just a dream. As a matter of fact, he may not remember what happened in the virtual world at all." I said.

"But Gonta's... just not good with computers!" Tsumugi defended. "Yeah! There's no way Gonta could've done this! He's just... confused!" Kaito added. "There was no glitch!"

I tilted my head. "Hm... maybe it wasn't a glitch in the programming..." I began. "Maybe Gonta put the cords in wrong." Shuichi finished.

"He couldn't have!" Himiko said. "The right hand is where you put your chopsticks in. I said that over and over again!" My eyes widened and I dug in my pockets. I found Angie's paintbrush that I forgot to take out and walked over to Gonta. "Can you please take this and pretend to write your name?"

He nodded and took the paintbrush... in his left hand.

"He's left handed." I breathed. He gave me back the paintbrush and I went back to my podium. "G-Gonta, you remember going to the virtual world, right?" Tsumugi asked in a panicked tone.

"Gonta never go to ver-choo-al world! When Gonta put on helmet, he fell asleep. When he wake up again, Miu dead! So... Gonta worry! Gonta not understand what everyone's talking about!"

"No... It can't be!" Tsumugi said in disbelief. "Gonta try to imagine, but-" "We already know Gonta." Kokichi interrupted. I looked at Kaito, who looked sick in the stomach. I walked over and gave him my handkerchief while Tsumugi demanded the motive, but Kokichi said it didn't matter.

"Kaito, you have to tell Maki and Shuichi, at least." I whispered. I turned around to look at Shuichi, who was occupied with Kokichi. "It's getting worse. I've been treating you, but it's not getting any better."

He nodded. "I know, I'll tell them after the trial." I sighed. "You should. They're going to find out one way or another, and I'd rather them find out from you telling them."

I went back to my podium and looked at Kokichi. "So, Shuichi. Wanna explain what happened?" Shuichi reluctantly nodded.

"Okay, so we can take Himiko, Maki, and Kee-boy off of our suspect list." "They couldn't access the crime scene."

"Kaito is the next one off our suspect list." "He was logged out before the murder happened."

"Tsumugi, Y/N, and Shuichi can be crossed off." "We have solid alibis."

"It's already impossible for me to be the culprit." "If Miu touched him, he wouldn't be able to strangle her because he froze."

I sighed as Kokichi asked Shuichi who could have been the culprit. "I-It's... it's Gonta." He said.

"No! I can't accept this!" A strained voice yelled. I knew exactly who it was. I turned and saw Kaito yelling, trying to prove Gonta's innocence along with Tsumugi. "He's going to hurt himself..." I whispered.

"H-How would he get outside from the roof?!" He asked, frantically. Shuichi and I looked at each other. It would've been great if that was the truth... but we both knew it wasn't. Reluctantly, I whispered. "No... that's wrong."

"The toilet paper... was used as a rope when Miu was strangled... so it was also used as a rope to get down. It was hung around the binoculars."

As Shuichi made the closing argument, I rubbed Gonta's back to steady his breathing.

Once Shuichi finished... no one protested. Nobody could. "Gonta... not understand... cuz... Gonta not smart boy." He began. "B-But... if everyone agree.. then.. everyone probably right. Cuz Gonta trust everyone!"

I walked back to my podium with a guilty look on my face.

I fell to the floor the moment I got there and covered my face. "Gonta kill Miu... Gonta forget everything... Gonta even think he not do anything bad! And then, Gonta blame someone else and make everyone suffer! Why... Why Gonta do such terrible thing?!"

I shook my head. "N-No! You... you didn't!" I could barely form a sentence. It hurt, physically, emotionally, mentally, all of it.

"Oh? Wrapping things up already?" Monokuma asked. The words "It's voting time" echoed through my ears like an annoying song. The screen in front of me turned on and Gonta's button reflected in everyone's eyes. My finger hovered over the button for a while. I... I couldn't bring it down. It seemed like no one else could either.

Eventually, I let my hand fall as the button darkened and the announcement came on. The spinner came on and landed on Gonta. This... was really happening... wasn't it?